Moved Files can no longer be foundSupport

Last Updated:

1. jfint

jfint Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all, I'm having problems trying to use files after moving them.

Example:
    I took a bunch of pictures at an event, the created a folder for that event and moved the pictures into it. I can still open the pictures one at a tiem by navigsting too them, but the galleary app still shows the thumbs, but cannot find them.

Example 2:
    I downloaded an mp3 for a ring tone, and while in the downloads folder the music player found it and I was able to set it at a ring tone. But I tried to create a ringtones folder, and then music could not find it, and just playing it by opening the file would not allow me to set a ring tone.

So how does this work? I have seen references here to folders called Media and ring tones, but I see nothing like that in the file system on my phone. Where does one put music if they want to actually use the music player?

Is the DCIM folder the ONLY one that works with the photo gallery? Is the Downloads folder the ONLY one that works with the music player?

Advertisement
  2. Birdman2004

Birdman2004 Well-Known Member

Try connecting the phone to a laptop, with the phone in PC mode (or whatever it is), and browse for the files that you are looking for. You may have to download the drivers for your pc before you are able to connect it. You can find the drivers on the Motorola website. There are also some links to the site buried somewhere in the forums, if you want to search for them here :D

3. jfint

So its not that the files actually disappear, its that the apps can't find them. I wanted to transfer music over to the phone (had it in file view mode on the computer) but I didn't know where to put them, there was no folder called "Media"

4. Birdman2004

There should be a way to do the music transfer, as well as transfer pics and any other type of file. I downloaded the software for PDAnet required for my PC with my DX, then connected the DX to my PC via the USB cable and transfered the installation files from the DX to the PC. There were lots of different folders that i saw (cant remember the names of them), but im sure if you find the right one you would be able to put the files in the right place.

In fact, I had to go in a manually delete some pictures that i took through the PC browse mode this morning. for some reason the DX wouldn't allow me to delete them. But once i deleted them on the PC, they were gone from the phone.

I suggest connecting to the PC and make sure that you have the PHONE in the correct mode. I'm pretty sure what folders you see on the PC depends on what mode you have the phone in when connecting it

5. jfint

Connecting to the PC works, moving files from folder to folder works, creating new folders works.

The problem is that once any of these are done the apps cannot access the files.

So I cannot figure out where to put .mp3 files for example and have them work. So far the only folder that works is the "Downloads" folder.

I think maybe I need to think of a new name for the topic, the name I chose seems to be misleading.

6. Birdman2004

oh, i see what you are saying. hmmm..... let me play around with it for a while and ill see what happens with me. have you tried to place pics or videos on the phone and then accessing them? Or does this only happen when you put mp3's on it?

7. jfint

I moved picts to a new folder then tried accessing them. I did not place pictures on the phone that had never been there before. If I navigate too the picts I can open them and view them, that data is there fine, not corrupted. But the gallery app cannot access them, the thumbnails are still there but they cannot be opened. I looked all over for a setting, to turn on recursive search or soemthing. Also the category called "Folders" in the gallery app did not update to indicate a new folder.

I moved the pictures back to the DCIM/Camera folder and everything worked again.

8. Birdman2004

hmmmm... sounds weird. Hopefully they will be addressing this in some sort of way through the update. If not, the PC connect feature is pretty useless if you cant access the data that you are putting on the phone. If I find something else, I'll make sure to post it back here.

9. jfint

Maybe the solution is just an aftermarket gallery app, and music player? That lets you select the directory that is its source?

10. Birdman2004

That could be an idea, if you can find one on the market. IDK have never looked for one, but that sounds like it could be an option. May even have more control than the stock ones anyways.

11. jfint

Figured it out, basically, just don't edit file structure with on-board tools, after being connected to the computer the system re-searched its memory and found everything where I had moved it too.