movie format for droid x

Last Updated:

1. double s

double s Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

If I am converting a DVD to be played onto my Droid X, do I want WMV or MP4?

Once this is done and transferred to my Droid, will it play or do I need to download a player onto the phone?

I am getting all my ducks in a row for the phones arrival on Monday!:D

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

mp4 with h.264 codec.

3. double s

Thank You, will it play WMV?? I have seen a few conversion softwares (is that world?) but none seem to have the mp4...

4. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I havent seen a program that DOESNT use mp4. Search on here for Handbrake, especially in the droid x sub forum, there are plenty of guides.

And no, wmv is a windows codec and wont work with android.

5. double s

much thx...I downloaded Magic DVD Ripper based on one forum but again did not see the MP4 option...did see handbrake and will give that a try. Will it compress movies or do I need a DVD shrink type ap?

6. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Yes it lets you set the bitrate. My advice, at the top of handbrake you can select which chapters to convert. Select only one chapter in the middle of the movie. that way you can try out different bitrate settings, and only have to convert a few minutes instead of the whole movie. Up to a certain point, raising the bitrate wont make the video look better, and will make the file huge.

7. james.y8

james.y8 New Member

MP4 is not always an option because you need the correct codec on your computer. MP4 codec is not always included in the base software because of some legal issues with the 'owners' of the codec.

8. matther22xdroid

matther22xdroid Well-Known Member

If i rip my own dvd files i use DVD fab its in my opinion the best ripping software available. If i don't rip my own dvds i download them from a torrent site (they are avi's of course) then convert them to mp4 using handbrake. Handbrake is definitely the way to go for converting, ive used roxio and nero to try and convert things and neither works as smooth as handbrake. You should set handbrake at 854x480 res,h264 codec in the video tab, 35% quality in the Video Tab, and 128bitrate in the audio tab. This makes your movies only about 240mb rather then about 1.2gb and they look just fine.