• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

movie/video will not play

johnrigu

Mar 16, 2010
S. New Jersey
I have "superbad" the movie on my droid and have always beens able to play it until after my froyo update. I even try to play videos that are posted on facebook by people, but no luck. I can go to youtube and play those. My "superbad" movie is and mp4 file if that helps.
Has anybody had this problem? Its just frustrating me.
Thanks

When I had 2.1 I downloaded a bunch of .mp4 simpsons episodes and they played fine.

Then I upgraded it to 2.2 and all my .mp4's said "Video cannot be played back". I then deleted the episodes and redownloaded them under the 2.2 upgrade and it worked.

My theory is that 2.2 messes up stored video files and somehow null & voids them until you re-store it on the SD card. Try sending the mp4 to the SD card again now that you updated.

Also you really should use some bettery video players.

If you want to play DivX/XVid encoded files such as .avi, .mkv, and others download these MUCH better apps then the default one. (You pretty much never need to convert something to .mp4 again, will save you tons of time).

arcMedia - Android app on AppBrain

or

RockPlayer (ARMv7) - Android app on AppBrain

Both do the same job. Try playing your videos with those, because 2.2 didn't like older .mp4's under 2.1.... for some reason.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Yup, ronhoney has it correct and I'm still having this problem. Since I first posted this I have done a factory reset and Verizon did a flash and I am still having this problem.Things were fine before froyo.
Dont get mewrong I love froyo and I have no other problems with my phone. Love it.
so is there any answers for this problem yet?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones