Movies for long plane tripGeneral

1. artbytes

artbytes Well-Known Member

OK - I did it. Just bought a Thrive. :) However, I need help. I want to download movies to watch on a long plane trip. Is there an app/service that I can use like Netflix or Blockbuster or iTunes, etc. to do this. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. juicehead666

juicehead666 New Member

I had trouble finding a movie service as well. I had to use unsavory means to get movies for my trip. Second issue is its hard to find a good media player that will play all types of files.
  3. someguy43210

someguy43210 Well-Known Member

MoboPlayer is can play a good amount of media files. It can play VOB too (DVD), but I heard it can't skip forward, haven't tried it myself. I head BuzzPlayer can skip around with VOB.
  4. epags

epags New Member

You can buy (~$15) DVD Catalyst 4 which will allow you to burn DVDs you own to your PC in a format that will work on your Thrive. Use a UBS cable and your 'your computer' to move the file to the Thrives' movie folder.
    jimwww likes this.
  5. Nickc778

Nickc778 New Member

I had to use unsavory means also by using Adownloader on my device and then use vital player which plays everything I have come across.
  6. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Member

Any idea when VLC Media Player for android will be out? I think there are betas out but not a stable release.
  7. MAT1234

MAT1234 New Member

This is the main thing stopping me from buying a Thrive and I feel the biggest weakness of Android tablets compared to the iPad. I was really shocked to see that there is no equivalent to iTunes and the ability to download a movie and watch it offline. I spend a lot of time on planes and use Amazon VOD to buy movies to watch. I wanted a Thrive to replace my laptop. The other downside is the size of the charger. I'm not sure it is worth replacing my laptop with these two limitations and I don't want an extra device but I am really jealous everytime I see someone with a Thrive so if anyone knows of solutions to my two concerns it would be a nice winter gift to myself !!

Thanks.....
  8. ganj_420

ganj_420 Well-Known Member

I think Google is supposed to start rolling out a market update that will allow you to rent movies pretty soon. I read somewhere that the XOOM was already getting it. I'm not sure that you can actually buy them but I know you can rent them and watch them offline.

As far as the charger, I really don't think it's too bulky but that's my opinion. Considering it will charge the tablet from 0% to 100% in 1.5 hours, I can deal with it. Any other tablet takes several hours to fully charge via mini/micro USB then dies several hours sooner! Seriously though, battery on this thing is amazing. Nuff said.
  9. MAT1234

MAT1234 New Member

ganj_420: I was talking about renting from Amazon VOD so thanks for the insight on the possible Google update. I'll try and keep an eye out for that. The charger issue is one that I think a lot of business travellers struggle with. As our devices get smaller we are happy but carrying multiple chargers is frustrating. Currently I would have to carry the laptop sized Thrive charger, plus my cell phone charger plus a wifi hot spot charger plus my Kindle charger (I find e-ink necessary for reading a lot on 8+ hour flights). If the Thrive can get updates to do offline movies and support a USB dongle for internet then I would accept having to carry the laptop sized charger and rush out to buy a Thrive.
  10. jimwww

jimwww Member

The thrive will chrg ur cell phone. Get the DVD catalyst 4 and make your own movies and put em on your 32g SD card. :)
  11. MAT1234

MAT1234 New Member

jimwww: Doesn't the DVD catalyst 4 require me to have the movie on DVD and then a computer to do the copying ? It's hardly an equivalent to wirelessly purchasing and downloading from iTunes or Amazon VOD but it could help. Can movies rented from something like Redbox be converted and put on the SD card ? At least that way I could load up a few movies for a few $$'s.
  12. crazydriver1

crazydriver1 Member

Don't see why not. I've converted some movies that I own and have them on my SD card. No issues with them at all
  13. MAT1234

MAT1234 New Member

crazydriver: Did a little online research and it appears that it's probably possible in many cases but almost certainly illegal if you don't own the DVD so I'm not interested in that and it seems there's still no option for what I want. I'm hoping that Amazon will make it work on the Fire and from there it will move to the Thrive or that Google will come up with something as part of ICS.