Movies on Evo ?Support

Last Updated:

1. Slice28

Slice28 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I asked a similar question before, but Im still having the same problem. Does anyone know a good and relatively easy way to put movies on to your Evo (in good quality). The only movie I managed to get on there is Transformers which I downloaded off of some site in mp4 format and the quality is horrible.

Advertisement
  2. aeiou

aeiou Well-Known Member

There is no easy way to do it. You have to follow a bunch of frustrating instructions that arent designed for people that arent tech savy. But i hear that once you do get it, its good to go. The problem is getting it.

3. frankiepapa

frankiepapa Well-Known Member

there are a few posts dedicated to this but here is my take....i have been trying to get some movies on my phone in earnest for the last week as i have a trip planned. if you google free dvd rippers you will get a ton of sites but i think at the end of the day you will have to pay.

tools4movies seems to be pretty good but i just cant get the full movie loaded. it loaded 30% of wedding crashers, and an hour of goodfellas but not a complete movie yet. the customer service is phenomenal though as they respond to e-mails very quickly.

i am most likely going to drop $30 on winxdvd platinum edition as i went through their free version (you get 5 minutes) and it worked well. The process itself is easy, just load the software, hit go and it does everything else. when finished, plug in the usb cable and i use it as a disk drive and that menu will come up. just drop the movie into whatever folder you want, go to your video player (or rockplayer) and you are set....

slschmidt76 likes this.
  4. Slice28

Slice28 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

yea i wish we could get the blockbuster app like the droid x has. would make things much easier

5. ChristmasLights

ChristmasLights Member

This link has instructions that may seem complicated at first. But its only complicated once. You save the setup, and from then on its easy. Be sure to follow every step:

How to convert videos and transfer them to the HTC EVO 4G - Know Your Cell

CrashGordon likes this.
  6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

7. EarlyMon

Remember - keep your final movie size below 2 GB - there is a file size limit on the SD card itself.

For example, the Star Trek DVD-quality digital copy is 1.92 GB so it can be done.

8. I want my EVO

I want my EVO Well-Known Member

Connect to a PC, drag and Drop into a folder called Movies.

I use .avi files and then use rockplayer to play it. I still have the Beta version and dont want to upgrade but it works great. No issues at all and it beats taking the time to convert movies.

9. KASR

KASR Member

Magic DVD Ripper is a peace of cake! Download the trial and check it out. Well worth the 40 bucks for the fill version. Here's a sample of what I encoded in under 10 minutes and loved great on the EVO

10. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

FAT32 file size limit is 4GB. I made the same mistake. You shouldn't have any trouble keeping them below 4GB.

11. KASR

KASR Member

I got the new Sherlock Holmes onto my EVO at it rang in at 1.4G with no problems.

12. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Just tried this handbrake method on Transformers and it came out as a total mess.... It took 2 hrs to rip/convert and it's a 1.3G garbled stuttering mess... Did I do something wrong? Can it not be played using the gallery app?:confused:

13. dels28

dels28 Well-Known Member

I like using magic dvd ripper, it allows you to write in a compatible format, it had a free trial, I bought mine. Also, there are many format converters that will allow you to compress to a smaller size, I use to use it for my PSP, you would lose a few scenes or chapters from the movie.

14. dsarch21

dsarch21 Well-Known Member

this is def the way to go, real simple....although if you want software get AVS Video Converter, use 'iphone' settings and bam! mp4 movie files are around 600mb....

15. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

I use this:

[APP][REF]Video encoding GUI - xda-developers

Because it's free and I'm cheap. It's an ffmpeg GUI that is set for the optimal resolution for 800 X 480 screens like the Evo. My only issue is that there is no db adjustment for the audio.

Fiizok likes this.
  16. BradHP

BradHP Member

17. Johnny Tsunami

Johnny Tsunami Member

Easy I used handbrake along with dvd43 u just download dvd 43 and open it. set handbrake defaults to ipod touch legacy it takes a while to rip the video but its good I've put an episode of bones monster vs alien and arrested and devlopment. monsters vs aliens was about 670 megs and I had great quality.

18. EarlyMon

Yeah, knew that - others have reported various issues going above 2 (the original SD card specified size).

And you're ok up to 4?

19. teknagen

teknagen Well-Known Member

Have you guys tried rock player app? its plays ALOT of video files works fine with the 700mb divx also works on ripped flash videos .flv

20. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

I found out that if it comes out garbled and such, it means it has a DRM protection on the movie. you need a program to remove it and you should be good. and rockplayer works great except for the fact that no matter what i do i get the black bars and it is not quite fullscreen.

21. teknagen

teknagen Well-Known Member

Thats because the htc evo has 5:3 aspect ratio and wide screen movies have about 16:9 ratio. The videos will look abit weird if it was stretched out to fit.

22. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

I 2nd teknagen. RockPlayer is AMAZING. You will be shocked at how great 700mb DIVX movies look. If you can manage to get some DIVX encoded movies you can get excellent quality AVIs and save a lot of data space too

23. EarlyMon

Widescreen movies are usually 1.85:1 or 2.39:1.

When displayed in their original aspect ratio, there will always be black bars, even on 16:9 screens.

Some people do prefer to have their movies hacked up and then fit to the screen, though, not unlike the butchering done to fit movies onto a 4:3 TV.

24. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

This! Make sure you are using rockplayer. Makes transcoding far less necessary and has good quality in many, if not most, formats.

25. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Rockplayer will not play 720p video without studdering or slow frame rates. It also will not output to the HDMI port.

At least for the few files I have thrown at it. The built in gallery app will do both those things with proper files.

Please someone prove me wrong on this...