• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Movies on the Transformer

turbohobbit

Android Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2010
England
I was just wondering if anyone had converted DVDs to movie files for watching on the transformer. I have a DVD ripping programme (DVDFab 8) and a converting programme (XMedia Recode) and I was just wondering what settings folks have used to enable decent playback on the Transformer. Any pointers?

Ah, ok.

Thing is, I like to watch box sets of TV shows on the move. I've used DVDFab 8 to rip the video files from DVDs onto my PC hard drive (as VTS (?) files) and I've been using XMedia to convert them to MP4 files for my Desire. Happily, XMedia has an option to choose the hardware you will be viewing the file on, and then uses preset preferences to convert the VTS file as an MP4 file optomised for that specific hardware (resolution, fps, etc).

As the Transformer is still a very new the presets for optimal playback dont exist in a lot - if not all (as far as I know...) video converting programmes, so I have to choose my preferences manually (custiom definition). I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience at this, and if so, what definitions they were using.

Upvote 0
I use DVDFab 8 to rip both DVDs and Blurays to play on my TF. I choose the option to generate a MP4 file. The only issue I have had is with how loud the sound is in the recording. I edit the sound so that its stereo and at about 200- 300 percent. This has worked for me without using any other program to to get a product that will play on my TF.

Upvote 0
I've been using DVDcatalyst 4 - it's not the fastest but it gives you a lot of options for quality/size depending on how much space you want to take up.
After some experimentation i've settled on creating MP4s (h264 compliant) that are optimised for the XOOM (there isn't an eee transformer specific setting yet).
The other good thing about the DVDcatalyst4 software is it is pretty modestly priced at < $10

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones