movies on tv?Support

Last Updated:

1. mills23

mills23 Well-Known Member

Can I hook my galaxy tab up to my tv to play movies that I have dl to my tab? If so what cable do i need?

Cobravision likes this.
  2. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

There are two ways you can do this.
    First choice is to use the Samsung Galaxy Tab Multimedia Desk Dock.
    However, bear in mind you will also need a suitable HDMI cable to attach to the Dock.

Second choice and the easiest method is to use the Samsung Galaxy Tab TV-Out Cable.
    This merely involves plugging one end into the Tab and the other into your TV's RGB inputs.
  3. Guitar4him

Guitar4him Well-Known Member

Beards is correct about the 2 ways. I have both and here's what I have observed....

- The video quality is better with the Multimedia Dock
    - Depending on your TV, you might have a slight delay with the sound compared to the video. This is a frequent issue when dealing with HDMI...not specifically with just the Multimedia Dock. It has to do with the lag induced by the processing. Good ole' DRM.......
    - The Tab gets charged while in the Multimedia Dock. It does not when it's hooked up with the TV-Out cable. Movies last a while. Battery use might become an issue
    - It's a lot more convenient to move the Tab around (ie playing a game) if it's hooked up using the TV-Out cable
    - If you get the Multimedia Dock, you're going to have to purchase an additional cable (mini-HDMI to HDMI). These can be gotten easily from Best Buy for less than $30. You can get them online cheaper but will have to wait for shipping to take place.
    - When using the Multimedia Dock to play You-Tube videos, the Tab screen will go black while it's actually playing the video. When you're doing other things (navigating around, making selections, etc), the Tab screen mirrors the TV screen. I haven't tried it yet with any movies so I don't know what will hapen then.
  4. mills23

I just ordered the cable. Will the movie take up the whole screen of my tv? Will it even be watchable?
  5. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

Short answer is Yes..... but it really depends on what the resolution is of the video file.
    mills23 likes this.
  6. KUDOS 555

KUDOS 555 Well-Known Member

7. mills23

What is the best res?
  8. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

Anything from 720p and above is best.
    That would equate to a resolution of 1280x720.
  9. jeffkyle

jeffkyle Member

But you can not play movies you rented from Media Hub... they are blocked...
  10. KUDOS 555

KUDOS 555 Well-Known Member

found this video of tab using RGB output

seems a slight delay from what tv shows to what tab shows, might just be my eyes :) but would be poor for games if there is an lag

anyone got the cable and can comment on picture quality/ games/ reading text when browsing