• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Movies on X

This is one of the biggest areas that android fails in. I know that when Windows Phone 7 comes out all you have to do is put it in the Zune software and it converts it for your device. It does this now with the Zune media player.

Technically Windows Media Player can do this on the X right now. If you can play the file in WMP, then just use it to sync the file over to the X. It will automatically be converted to a format the X can play.

The problem is it doesn't pick the highest quality when converting.

Upvote 0
OMFG, VLC worked perfect!

Looks freakin' amazing on this phone!!!!

WOW WOW WOW! Ok, I'm enthused! Every other program failed on the avatar dvd, this one worked with the options in the video!

Again, I have some older videos setup for iphone resolution, and they took up only about 1/2 of the screen.

I'm watching my avatar dvd ripped and put on my X, looks awesome!!!:D

Upvote 0
OMFG, VLC worked perfect!

Looks freakin' amazing on this phone!!!!

WOW WOW WOW! Ok, I'm enthused! Every other program failed on the avatar dvd, this one worked with the options in the video!

Again, I have some older videos setup for iphone resolution, and they took up only about 1/2 of the screen.

I'm watching my avatar dvd ripped and put on my X, looks awesome!!!:D

That's great to know! I've been using Handbrake and have also experienced the audio/video sync issues - thought it was just me. :eek:

However, does anyone know if VLC works on Mac?

Upvote 0
That's great to know! I've been using Handbrake and have also experienced the audio/video sync issues - thought it was just me. :eek:

However, does anyone know if VLC works on Mac?

I was messing around with VLC last night, and it does work on the mac. My wife closed my laptop so I didn't get the complete rip, but I'll try it again later today. Hopefully the audio and video will be in sync this time!!

Upvote 0
Here's a good article I found last night about Handbrake settings for the Droid X.

How to convert videos and transfer them to the Motorola DROID X - Know Your Cell

The only thing I'm not sure I agree with is that I think "keep aspect ratio" should be checked. I'd rather have the movie in the original aspect ratio rather than fill my screen.

I don't know why so many people are having trouble with Handbrake. It makes everything so easy for me.

Upvote 0
I haven't had any "problems" per say with handbrake. I think handbrake makes it super easy in fact! On my computer, the files I ripped playback beautifully. However, on the X the Audio is out of sync with the voice. I don't know if that is handbrake's fault or what. I'll keep experimenting, it is frustrating because the audio sounds great, and the video looks amazing, its just not synced up.

Upvote 0
Has anyone used DoubleTwist? Supposed to convert any file to the correct format for any device?

I have a video that's 624x352 and when I watch it on my phone, it fits perfectly, looks perfect and sounds amazing. It's also a .AVI. I tried DoubleTwist to play it and I also tried the built in video player on the phone, both worked! :D

I'm glad I don't really have to convert any of my movies so long as they have close to a 16:9 resolution! :D

Upvote 0
FML. I am trying to rip Avatar from a DVD and researched quite a bit on the net and forums, and nothing has worked.

Handbrake gives me an error. Ripping from the DVD to HD in avi with bitripper works but the sound is out of sync, also huge file. DVDFab to rip to HD gives me an error. VLC doesn't even initiate the rip when I press start. Even tried DVD Catalyst Free, and it completes the rip randomly before the movie has ended.

I've tried DVD43 in combination with these programs as well as without and it doesn't help.

Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0
For the handbrake sound out of sync people, is sound out of sync when you view it on the PC too?

Maybe it's the default player and not the video itself?

I just took a real short 720p video that I recorded with my digital camera and used handbrake to drop it to 854x480, 1500 bitrate and it played perfectly using mvideoplayer. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I also tried it in the stock player and the audio was lagging.

Upvote 0
I was messing around with VLC last night, and it does work on the mac. My wife closed my laptop so I didn't get the complete rip, but I'll try it again later today. Hopefully the audio and video will be in sync this time!!

I just tried VLC last night as well - didn't work. A file, which ended up being about 1.5 gigs, was created but it just opens to a blank/black screen. You'll have to let me know if yours was successful the second time around. If so, I'll try again...maybe I missed a setting or something. :thinking:

For the handbrake sound out of sync people, is sound out of sync when you view it on the PC too?

Maybe it's the default player and not the video itself?

I just took a real short 720p video that I recorded with my digital camera and used handbrake to drop it to 854x480, 1500 bitrate and it played perfectly using mvideoplayer. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I also tried it in the stock player and the audio was lagging.

I'm starting to lean towards your theory. I'm trying one more setting tonight to see if it makes a difference. I tried it on another movie last night and it seems to be working fine now...tonight is Test #2 on another movie to confirm that my new settings work. I noticed that the file I was originally having problems with played fine on my computer. It only had issues playing on the Droid X default player.

Upvote 0
I just tried VLC last night as well - didn't work. A file, which ended up being about 1.5 gigs, was created but it just opens to a blank/black screen. You'll have to let me know if yours was successful the second time around. If so, I'll try again...maybe I missed a setting or something. :thinking:

I'm starting to lean towards your theory. I'm trying one more setting tonight to see if it makes a difference. I tried it on another movie last night and it seems to be working fine now...tonight is Test #2 on another movie to confirm that my new settings work. I noticed that the file I was originally having problems with played fine on my computer. It only had issues playing on the Droid X default player.

I had no luck with VLC either. I must have screwed up one of the settings. I may try again tonight, or I may spend some more time trying to get handbrake to work since its SO much easier to use.

Which settings did you use on HB that seem to be working now?

Upvote 0
Hey all first Droid and first time converting.

I used VLC last night at 720x480 30FPS and audio set to 160kbps. I got a perfect audio/video match up in sync.
to fill the screen I then tried 854x480 at 29.97FPS with the same audio setting but now my audio is faster than my video for whatever reason with my video any reason?

the 720x480 video was just a 7 minute clip for testing purposes
the 854x480 video was the full length 162 minute clip.

other than that if I can get everything to match perfectly it looks and sounds AMAZING.

Upvote 0
I just hooked my phone up with the media dock and I was surprised at how nice the movie looked on my 32" lcd and even more surprised at how it loked on my 50" plasma. I expected the qualty to go to crap but it was still alright.

It's nice to know that I can convert one movie and watch it on whatever screen I want.

Upvote 0
Yes, all my source files are 720 or 1080p .mkv's.

I've converted tons of them using Handbrake and have rarely had issues.

I can post up my encoding profile when I get home tonight.

Fab,

Can you post your handbrake settings for the Droid X? Most of my encodes have been done using the Universal preset (files were always a bit large and for my iPod touch, but were acceptable on a 37" HDTV (used with my HTPC) so I was happy.

Just curious if I should keep using the Universal preset or if there's something more optimal. I'm fine with the letterboxing...was never a fan of forcing full-frame.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Check out this link I used this article and mine look great.

+1^^^ I can now confirm this. This article is great!

tried handbrake. didn't allow me to get a 854 width. it would always revert back to 720 as the max. 480 height was okay. am I doing something wrong? I uncheck "main aspect ratio also" if that helps.

I also ran into this problem... I just left it at the 720 max and it still turned out great. No video/audio syncing issues. There IS letterboxing tho. It doesn't bother me but just FYI.

The only thing that I noticed (and maybe I'm just being too picky) is that during fast, action scenes, it looks like the video moves in lines. I don't know if that makes any sense but it's got a crisp picture, it's just that you can see the lines going horizontally as the picture moves along. What setting should I tweak to make it "smoother?"

Upvote 0
Yes, all my source files are 720 or 1080p .mkv's.

I've converted tons of them using Handbrake and have rarely had issues.

I can post up my encoding profile when I get home tonight.

Did you ever post that profile? I'd like to try handbrake, and see what the file sizes are compared with using other utilities.

Ghostbusters 720p came out about 700 meg or so.

EDIT: Hmmm... looks like handbrake lock up all the time when you select source on win 7 64 bit. 8(

Upvote 0
Whoops, sorry I forgot about this thread :(

I actually don't do anything special in Handbrake. Just choose iPod legacy. You want to keep the aspect ratio of the original file.

In the picture tab, choose a width of 854 and it will auto adjust the height - 480 if it is 16:9, a little lower if it is cinematic.

Then, in the video tab, you can either choose to try to maintain an avg bitrate or use that constant quality slider.

I think 1000kbps is enough for a good picture.

Reactions: Gareee
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones