Movies? :)

Last Updated:

1. Christophe2010

Christophe2010 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Last night, I downloaded Pineapple Express, Superbad and Avatar onto my Sprint HTC Hero 1.5. I previewed each one and I've gotta admit- video and audio quality is really great compared to the terrible YouTube/Flash videos...which sort of makes me wonder why manually loaded videos to the phone by customers is better than the preinstalled apps such as YouTube and faulty software with Flash...lol. Hmm...anybody else have similar thoughts or experiences? Videos work just fine for me on my Hero. (btw, I have Windows XP Home Edition, service pack 3...so...yeah.)

J'aime vraiment mon nouveau portable le HTC Hero avec Sprint. Malgr

Advertisement
  2. xbrokdikdogx

xbrokdikdogx Well-Known Member

it's because flash videos are lower resolution and quality so that they can be streamed over the internet. When you put a movie directly on your phone either you or the person who encoded it for your phone's video resolution have encoded it with better visual quality in mind and not smaller file size.

3. Christophe2010

ah yes...I see. Well, if only such thought had more play in our devices. I'm hoping such qualities are redressed in update 2.1. :D

4. xbrokdikdogx

xbrokdikdogx Well-Known Member

This isn't something that can be fixed. It is simply that streaming a movie in high quality would require an excellent network connection and would use tons of data. So streaming a youtube video that is 5 MB is nothing compared to a 300+ MB movie in order to get the quality you are looking for. This is the same on computers. You can watch movies online but the quality isn't as good as you can get if you just download the whole movie and watch it locally.

5. Christophe2010

You're right. Well, how come the iPhone and iPod touch can do it? iPod videos are always flawless and streaming clearly even on just wifi...

6. hood420

hood420 Well-Known Member

I've watched YouTube videos on the iPhone and I never considered them to be that great of quality. There are two ways to get better quality YouTube videos though. If your connection is fast enough select High Quality, if your connection isn't that fast, download the videos using a browser or app that allows it (Dolphin Browser and xScope allow you download online videos.)

7. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

It's the same youtube videos...has nothing to do with the phone. When you view a youtube video, hit menu and change it to high quality. Just don't be surprised if it has to stop to buffer if you're not connected to WiFi.

8. Christophe2010

The youtube app doesn't really work that well for htc hero. I sign into my account and go to my favorites. It says I have 17 favorites...but it only shows me 4 videos...and when i search for the other 10 in the search bar, they don't show up in results.