1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Moving apps to SD card

Last Updated:

1. Entropy1024

Entropy1024 Member This Topic's Starter

What's the deal with this? It appears that only some apps can be moved to the SD card.

I have been using ApptoSD which works fine but only works on a few apps. Why won't it work with everything?

I keep running out of space on my phones memory and would love to move the bulk of my apps to the SD card.

Many thanks for any help

Advertisement
  2. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

The app has to support it.

Don't forget to check data and cache for your apps as well.

3. Entropy1024

Entropy1024 Member This Topic's Starter

So the app has to be specifically written to support running from the SD card.

Curious as to why this is. Is it a speed thing, ie SD card not fast enough to run certain things?

4. tsh

tsh Member

Some app developers decide that their app should still work even if you un-mount the SD card (to access it from a PC for example). This makes sense for things like an SMS app, or even apps which really need to run in the background (and saves having idiot users getting confused).

I have a small issue, appbrain seems to recognise which apps can be moved, and annotates them with (on phone) or (on SD), then offers me the chance to move some, but then the system will not let me move them. aLogcat is one example.