moving apps to sd card?Support

Last Updated:

1. aliang87

aliang87 New Member This Topic's Starter

i'm a new user of the android systems, as i just got my samsung transform a couple of weeks ago. i noticed that there isn't a lot of internal memory on the phone.

i was wondering can i move apps from the internal memory to the sd card? or, can i just install an app directly to the sd card?

thanks for any help! i'm learning something new about this phone every day.

Advertisement
  2. AGBandit

AGBandit Member

I was wondering this myself. As of yet I haven't been able to. For now I'm just able to have media such as pics, video and music stored on my card.

I'm at 70% full on my phone's space so I'm slightly concerned.

3. rick153

rick153 New Member

I'd be curious for some suggestions as well.

How much memory is showing available on your Advanced Task Killer? Mine is showing around 65-75 and i dont have that many apps installed. A friend has a recently released sprint phone(optimus?) and his shows like 250 mg available.

4. aliang87

aliang87 New Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, I also have a few apps installed and Advanced Task Killer shows I have 35-45M. The worst part is that I only got 5 apps and none of them are games!

5. snovvman

snovvman Well-Known Member

In general, you need Froyo (Android 2.2) to have native App2SD. Even with that the app itself must be compiled to support App2SD. Most apps that support App2SD will only install a part of itself to SD.

Another problem, many apps that have widgets don't always load properly if it is on SD. Lastly, there are common issues with Nexus One where apps loaded on SD would just stop working. I've seen this a couple of times with my N1. I've also seen it on other Android phones.

Android 2.1 does not support App2SD.

If you were rooted, with 2.2, you would be able to install most apps, App2SD enabled or not, to SD. I don't recommend this (see above).

If you were rooted with 2.1, you can create an "external" partition and manually move the apps to SD. It comes with its own risks.

There you have it. With the Transform stuck on 2.1, you must root and create an ext partition.

aliang87 likes this.
  6. droid newb

droid newb Well-Known Member

I don't think you can run them from the SD but you can at least back them up there with the free AppMonster app.

7. [TheAndroid]

[TheAndroid] Well-Known Member

True, but the point is to be able to save space on your phone by using App2SD, backing up your apps doesn't fulfill that purpose...