1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Moving contacts from phone to GoogleSupport

1. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Slightly off-topic, but if you used BT to xfer contacts, check to see that they aren't all stored on the phone as opposed to google. People->Menu->View

edit - moved from another thread

Advertisement
    :
  2. Speilmen230

Speilmen230 Well-Known Member

Yes they are all stored on the phone. The is this bad?
  3. EarlyMon

It means you're stuck every time you replace your phone or want to do a hard reset. If you put them on the google server, they'll automagically back up to the cloud and download to your phone if it ever needs it.

Here's the way I know how to fix this:

People->Menu->Import/Export->Export to SD card->Phone->OK

Get the file from your SD card to your PC. Go to Gmail web, left panel, Contacts, top drop down tool, More actions, Import ... from vcf (or vCard) file. Complete the import. Use More actions again to ensure you have no duplicates.

Review the contacts for correctness.

On phone: settings, Applications, People, Clear data - confirm you have no contacts left on phone. Then, settings, Accounts & sync, google, sync contacts.

Unless - you don't want the convenience of having your contacts on the cloud, not everyone does.

Hope this helps!

PS - See also - http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/360622-contacts-pictures.html
    KeyWestDylan and Speilmen230 like this.
  4. Speilmen230

Speilmen230 Well-Known Member

thanks a ton, i was able to successfully do this. although i did have to manually go in and delete all the contacts off the phone. the data clear didn't do the trick, but all is good now. thanks a ton. :)
    EarlyMon likes this.
  5. mikeinatl

mikeinatl Active Member

When BB upgraded my phone, they copied them over through Google. However, I've discovered there are a lot of contacts on my E4G that I need. I want to transfer those via bluetooth, but want to know if there's any easy way to delete my contacts on the 3VO first so I don't end up with a lot of duplicates.

Thanks for the help!
  6. TJoseph

TJoseph Member

Sync the 4G to GMail over wifi. GMail has a merge duplicates option. Then sync the 3D to GMail.
    marctronixx and Dooderino like this.
  7. mikeinatl

mikeinatl Active Member

Thanks, I'll try it.
    racefla likes this.
  8. EarlyMon

If you're left with contacts on the phone (the usual case for a BT xfer) - you see where the contacts are with People -> Menu -> View -- then so far, it seems you'll have to delete the on-phone contacts one at a time.

We need a solution for that.
  9. EarlyMon

Merged threads - seemed like similar enough topics needing confirmation of the solutions.
    Adar likes this.
  10. Renlaan

Renlaan Active Member

Hello, I just got a HTC 3D as a replacement for my Samsung Epic that I broke. I have a gmail account but don't know how to get all my contacts to this phone. (I did it easy enough with the old phone) I did the sync all option but it didn't add them. Any help/ideas?
    Thanks!
    R
  11. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

Did you have them backed up to your sd card or Gmail account?

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2
  12. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

moved this discussion to this thread as an FYI with adding contacts to either your Phones memory or to the cloud with Google.

you must use the same gmail acct with the new phone as you did with the old phone in order to get your contacts to show. you ad the account in the sync settings page on the evo 3d.

after a while, the contacts will show. you can then add them to phone memory or keep them in the cloud (recommended) and then boom done.
  13. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

As long as you had them stored on your Gmail account and you are using the same Gmail account on this phone then you are good to go, simply open the phone dialer, then at the bottom hit the icon that says people, once open, then top right of phone book, you will see a drop down arrow, hit that, then make sure the Gmail account you have your contacts on is check marked, then they will sync, also in settings and sync, make your your contacts are set to sync with your phone.

14. dgrobe2112

dgrobe2112 Well-Known Member Contributor

there is an easy way to move them from phone to gmail..

in people app, click menu, move.. should be easy enough
    Adar likes this.
  15. Adar

Adar Well-Known Member

I actually just used this the other day. I thought i was going to have to jump through hoops, and noticed the Move option. Also, Move doesn't actually MOVE, or at least didn't on my phone. It just copied all of the contacts to Google. All of my prior Phone contacts still exist as Phone contacts, they just also are Google contacts.
    dgrobe2112 likes this.
  16. dgrobe2112

dgrobe2112 Well-Known Member Contributor

ur right.. i do have dups now.. deleting the dups.. lol..