• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving files around, apps to SD and screenshots

Mar

Jun 3, 2010
Hey all

I have noticed that when you go into "My files" app you can move things around. Is that maybe a way to move the apps into the SD card? Like if i select my "WhatsApp" folder that is currently in the phone memory section and select move to external sdcard would that actually move the app or would it mess it up?

Also if i move the screenshots folder from the Pictures subfolder in the internal storage to the SD card would that save all the screenshots in the sd card from now on or would the system create a new folder in the phone memory and save them there as before?

Last question. The settings menu while in the My Files app has a set home directory option marked as "/mnt". What does it specify and if i change it to anything else will that mess up stuff? Like if i specify external sd card would that make it save everything directly to SD card?

Thanks, and sorry for possibly stupid questions!

Atm apps cant be moved to SD card i dont believe, however you can move other files to and from like media etc but its easier if you usb your phone into a laptop and do it that way.

I doubt it, I think screenshots will keep going to internal storage unless you can find a setting somewhere to change the default save path (but ive not come across it yet)

The last setting you ask about purely affects only the myfiles app, and the folder that it opens on upon opening the app, its just the home folder setting, so no you wont mess things up if you change it, you might just have to navigate back to the /mnt to change between internal and external storage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones