Moving files from the tablet's main HD to the microSD card.General

1. gilesdan

gilesdan New Member

How do I move files from the main hard drive on my tab to my SD card?

I have put a few movies on my tab via dropbox. I opened up dropbox and in the dropdown, used the "move to SD card" button. Despite doing this, the SD card is as empty as the day I bought it, but the movie is now taking up space on the tab's primary hard drive. Unfortunately, its a microSD card, so i can't just plug it in to the computer to move stuff manually from the computer to the SD card.

I want a simple "windows explorer" type program where I can move files from one directory to another. Why don't I have this? How do I get crap onto the microSD card? How do I keep from clogging the hell out of my tablet? AND WHY ISN'T THIS SIMPLE?

(If it is simple, then I'm thrilled to be embarrassed!)

Advertisement
  2. 2dalu2u

2dalu2u Member

Would love to know this as well.
  3. Skull Nokker

Skull Nokker Active Member

Open the "My Files" app that comes with the tablet. On the left panel make sure the folders you want to move from and to are visible. Go to the folder with the file to be moved then do a drag and drop to the folder you want it in.

[​IMG]
  4. Hankster65

Hankster65 Member

I went nuts for an entire day trying to figure out what the heck was going on with putting stuff on the "sdcard." It turns out that the powers that be are now calling the internal, built in memory "sdcard." (Even though it's NOT an sdcard!) The actual sdcard card that you buy and plug into the danged thing is now called an "extsdcard." Absolute chaos is the result, at least for me it was. I keep thinking of the Abbot & Costello "who's on first" routine. Totally maddening.
  5. Hankster65

Hankster65 Member

I went nuts for an entire day trying to figure out what the heck was going on with putting stuff on the "sdcard." It turns out that the powers that be are now calling the internal, built in memory "sdcard." (Even though it's NOT an sdcard!) The actual sdcard card that you buy and plug into the danged thing is now called an "extsdcard." Absolute chaos is the result, at least for me it was. I keep thinking of the Abbot & Costello "who's on first" routine. Totally maddening.
  6. janner43

janner43 Member

This isn't new. Its been the standard in android for a long time. It stems back to the earliest versions of the phone based OS. Different manufacturers also call the external card different names, but as long as you remember that built in flash drive memory is always /sdcard, working out the external one is usually pretty straightforward. :)
  7. ciliegia

ciliegia New Member

Did as suggested above and worked like a charm. However, on one video, when I attempt to move it to the external sd card, I get the message: " file operation error." Don't know why. Is there another way to get this file to my external card? I notice that there is a cut feature...is there also a paste one?
  8. txrose72

txrose72 Well-Known Member

I prefer using Astro File Manager available on the Play Store. It includes an App backup which can be set to store apps of your choice on the ext SD card. For example I don't save Google apps like Maps and Play Store. They all require some learning process.
  9. Mackinon

Mackinon Well-Known Member

there is a good chance that your file got corrupted while downloading from dropbox, this happens to me all the time, try downloading it again.
  10. ciliegia

ciliegia New Member

There was an additional problem: the film is HD and although it claims to have totally downloaded, at a certain point the film just stops when viewing it. Can we use HD films on this tablet?
  11. Nettwam

Nettwam New Member

This is my first android product/tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2), which direction should I move them? Left to right, right to left? Thanks.
  12. elbaroark

elbaroark Member

One way to do it is to mount the external SD Card as your Internal and your internal as External using a script and Script Manager from the Play Store. It has worked wonderfully for me, as I only have the 8 GB GTab 2 and have installed many apps to it. Here is the link to the post over at XDA to do it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1961097

It will help.
  13. donwood12

donwood12 New Member

Thanks - this worked perfectly and cleared up my tablet drive.