Moving from iPhone to Captivate

Last Updated:

1. plr60

plr60 Member This Topic's Starter

Hello! I'm planning to purchase a Samsung Captivate this weekend, replacing an original iPhone. I have two questions for the forum: 1) Should I plan to immediately root the phone?, and 2) If so, what is the best process to follow and where do I find the ROMs? (I guess that's actually 3 questions... :))

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

1) meh. no real reason for it... yet. see below
    2)info here
    3) no roms out there... yet.

3. tyte

tyte Well-Known Member

there is a root available ... it was a ported version of a vibrant root modified by chaos central somewhere on this forum section.. keep looking back or go check the xda dev forums.. because i know its there..

as for custom roms... you need root first but the problem is there are no custom roms for the captivate yet

4. lordmaxx

lordmaxx Well-Known Member

yes basically to reiterate what they have said there is no real reason to root, yet.

Rooting allows you super admin access to your device. After you have superadmin access you can then replace the original ROM image with a custom image. There are people claiming they have root access, but of course we do not have people stripping down ROMs and trying new things.

this is a very complex process of taking the parts from other phones that are similar (like they did with my Fuze and using TouchPro updates and antenna drivers) And the only real reason to do it is to monkey around with your phone.

If the only thing you are concerned about is sideloading apps you should be able to do that using the adb method that has been outlined in several posts on this board, if the only other reason is that you don't like touchwiz 3.0 then you can actually use any homepage replacement a few of which are very close to stock android so no worries there...

If you want to do it because you love monkeying around with your tech then by all means, join the xda forums and let's start destroying our phones together! Huzzah!

edit: And welcome to the forums btw! Are you anxious to start monkeying because you've been living the land of apple lockdown? :) lol

5. thindery

thindery Well-Known Member

In the meain time, head over to appbrain.com and start customizing your phone. Then when you get the captivate you install appbrain from the market and it will show all the apps you have already saved to your account for easy install.

6. plr60

plr60 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the advice!

I'll definitely check out both adb and the homepage replacements. And appbrain.com sounds great. I can get a head start before picking up the phone on Sunday. (I was hoping to snag one a bit earlier after reading of some success stories in TX, but the stores in my area of PA haven't received their shipments yet. Oh well...)