• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving from Rooted custom ROM to Stock 2.1

rb1703

Dec 12, 2009
In preparation for the release of the official HTC 2.1 ROM, can I have come advise on how I go about changing from the Villain Rom 5.3 that I'm currently running to the new official one?

Will I need to re-install the original 1.5 ROM and then wait for the OTA update to arrive, or will I be able to download it off the web and install it on the phone via my PC?

If you do, you will lose any root access, you will unlikely to be able to get it back either, it will overwrite your bootloader than currenly allows you to load other roms, and thus you won't be able to pickup any Froyo custom 2.2 roms in the future.

THINK VERY CAREFULLY before deciding to load the standard RRU from HTC.

It's far better to wait for a unmodified repack of it, than can be loaded ontop of the recovery image, so you can be 99.999% stock, but still keep your options open for later on.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Just FYI. I am using a rooted unmodified repack of the Taiwan official update done by 42turkeys over at XDA. The Taiwan version just came out on the 4th. I do not see any reason whatsoever to go to an official rom. It has english locale but the handwriting is still Taiwanese for the most part, so it doesn't properly recognize all letters, but when the EU version comes out I will wait for a rooted repack of that.

Keep in mind if you go to an official update, you will not be able to go back or install a custom 2.2 rom in the future, unless someone figures out how. But I really do not see a reason to lose root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones