• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving on...

felopez

Apr 2, 2012
So I was following the Nexus 5 for a long time, much like everyone I suspect, and I think I'm starting to get over the crushing disappointment of it being available on every carrier except Big Red. My rezound is starting to feel pretty old now, I just dropped it for the first time, cracked the screen in two places, and now I'm just waiting on an upgrade.

So I'm looking through Verizon's selections and I can't really find anything I like all that much. At this point I'm looking at the LGG2 or the HTC One. I'll probably root and install CyanogenMod on either one almost immediately after I get them (especially the One, I can't stand Sense normally, I don't think I could deal with the blinkfeed.) There's also the teaser that was released with the Nexus 5, that Google and Verizon were "working on a new project for Q1 2014." So given that, what would you guys do? One, G2, or wait and see if peace talks produce a verizon branded Nexus 5?

Do you think the main attraction of the HTC One at the point lies in Sense and Blinkfeed, or would the construction and hardware be enough to get you to buy it?

I think I'd consider changing carriers :D

Assuming that's not an option and that waiting on some vague promise of maybe getting something, sometime next year is not a sensible option, I'd look at the HTC One. Until the N5 came along, it was my clear favourite droid - not just technically fantastic, but the single best looking phone you can buy, period.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I changed carriers earlier this year and went with the Nexus 4, if the 5 was out at that time I would have jumped ship even quicker...

That being said, if you are stuck on Vzw, either one would be a decent device, although the One has more ROM options right now. CarbonROM is available for both devices, it is a rock solid, stable choice as the base CM tends to be low on features and customization by comparison, and with it becoming a commercial entity... well, that's a whole other story.

As far as Google and Verizon coming to an agreement, I find it unlikely... Verizon wants the bloat and control and Google won't allow it, simple as that, anything they might agree to will be less than the standard Nexus.

I would jump to AT&T Go Phone or similar service and a Nexus 5, not only will you get a better device, better service, and you will save about $40/month over a standard 2GB data plan and get unlimited talk and text.

Upvote 0
Yeah, unfortunately I'm in a family plan. My upgrade was stolen a couple months ago and now my contract isn't up until 2015. So jumping ship isn't really an option at this point (not matter how much I'd like to).

This Verge article from right after the N5 launch teased the possible cooperation. Google's Nexus 5 won't come to Verizon, but 'a set of projects for 2014' will | The Verge
I'm not foolish enough to hope for another verizon branded Nexus, but hopefully they'll work something out between now and next March.

I think I'm leaning toward the G2 at this point, simply because I want something that will hold up in the hardware department for a couple years. I love the design aesthetic of the One, but the quad core 800 of the G2 seems pretty attractive, given I'll be nuking the software in favor of something else anyway.

Upvote 0
I ordered a Moto X, same height and width as the Rezound, but thinner lighter and with a bigger battery. Exactly what I would've wanted from a Rezound 2!

I'm going to miss several things about Sense and the Rezound. The Resound dock is awesome. I like the Facebook contact integration, people widget, dialer functionality among other things. I like the recent apps in the notification pull down and I think the pull down looks cleaner on the Rezound version of Sense than on the One and the JB/KK version of android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones