• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Moving (or installing) apps to the SD card

Does anyone know how to move apps or install them to the sd card on the victory?

I have tried to find guides after guides, but non of them work for the victory. Is it limited by the hardware?

It's so hard as the internal is sooo tiny....

Even when installing the apk directly from the sd card, it still installs the data to the internal.

Your evo is not on jellybean. Ever since 4.1 Google removed moving apps to SD. Evo is on ice cream sandwich (4.0) I believe. 2.2, 2.3 even 4.0 had it, but 4.1 jellybean on up to 4.4 kitkat no longer have it. Its not just samsung. The victory is jellybean 4.1.2. The S3 is also jellybean. Follow the guide I linked to (link2sd) and you'll be able to do it.

Upvote 0
Your evo is not on jellybean. Ever since 4.1 Google removed moving apps to SD. Evo is on gingerbread (2.3) I believe. 2.2, 2.3 even 4.0 had it, but 4.1 jellybean on up to 4.4 kitkat no longer have it. Its not just samsung. The victory is jellybean 4.1.2. The S3 is also jellybean. Follow the guide I linked to (link2sd) and you'll be able to do it.
Oh that's why. My evo is 4.0. I never thought about that though. It's a great feature, I wonder why it was removed :/.

Upvote 0
Oh that's why. My evo is 4.0. I never thought about that though. It's a great feature, I wonder why it was removed :/.

I agree, it was great. Seems like they did it to make money by selling phones with more memory. Some ppl buy cheaper phones with less memory. So when they outgrow it, Instead of just getting a bigger SD card and moving apps to it, now they have to upgrade to a phone with more memory.

Upvote 0
I run a script that swaps the INT + EXT so I have a 32gb FAT32 partition. The fone show 29.1gb free....
No more limitations...

Screenshot_2014-04-29-13-33-17.png

Upvote 0
Can someone help me out? My gf FINALLY let me root her Victory to get more space for apps and so I see that there's more hurdles. There's no way I'm dicking with apps2sd on this, nor would she want me to. Can someone fill me in or point me to this script you're talking about? Thanks
It doesn't help. It doesn't put apps on your SD. It does nothing helpful

Upvote 0
Oh well, I'll just partition and do apps2sd the proper way..
Edit, I mean Link2sd, I know better :)
That is the only way really. The SD swap script only swaps internal and external sdcard. Your apps aren't stored in your internal sdcard. And worse once you swap storage, all the apps that store their data on external SD would then be storing on internal. It literally does nothing helpful for the victory. I made a guide for setting up link2sd using twrp to partition the card. Its quick and easy. I'll find it for you.
Update: you can use twrp to create a 2nd ext4 partition on your SD card too <br />First backup your SD card to your computer, this will wipe it.
[1]Place your sdcard in your phone<
[2]Boot into recovery (these instruction use TWRP)
[3]Select Advanced, then select Partition SD Card
[4]Set the size you want for your storage space in kb (1024mb = 1gb), at least 2gb
[5]Choose EXT4
[6]Don't worry if it shows an error TWRP can't mount the 2nd partition so it thinks it errored

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What is root ? How do I do it? I have no space in my phone for anything and I want to put all my pics and things on my sd card. Please help I have no idea how this stuff works
rooting your phone is pretty much....

Think of your phone like a car.
When you install apps, its like adding small features to your car. (ie, air freshner, fuzzy dice, etc)
And thats all you can ever do.

When you root your phone, it allows you to get under the hood.
When you are under the hood, you can soup up your engine, add turbo, put hydraulics in...
However, you can never screw up your car with fuzzy dice, but you sure can wreck it by screwing with the engine. Same goes for rooting a phone. Rooting a phone is allowing you to get under the hood.

Rooting your phone, should not be done if you do not know how.
It can brick your phone sometimes, and unless you back everything up previously, you will lose all your data.

I highly recommend letting a friend who knows how to do it, root it for you. Or spend a few bucks and get a better phone.

There are guides out there, just google how to root "x" phone (x = type of phone)
Just make sure you backup EVERYTHING (guides on google for that as well)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones