• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving the family to Android - A Few Questions

roksta

Dec 29, 2009
Hello all, first time poster and new to the group.
I picked up the HTC Magic for my wife today and am expecting my Hero later this week. Have been playing with the Magic and am hugely impressed. But I do have a few (stoopid) questions.

1.The Magic is Android 1.5...I am unsure on how to upgrade this to 1.6. Is this firmware or ROM? The HTC site shows ROM updates (I'm in Sydney on Vodafone and can see an AUS Huthchison ROM update) but am unsure if thats what I am after. I have also heard I can run a Hero ROM on the Magic...is that right?

2. It appears that syncing is a background process allowing for "push" type emails and notifications. Whilst I love this (I am moving from an E71 where I controlled the syncing ... I would prefer it to happen in the background) is it going to push my data usage through the roof? I imagine that there is such a short time to check Google servers and unless a bunch of emails include attachments, that the actual content (new calendar appts, new email, new contacts) would not be huge in terms of file size. Or am I completely wrong about that?

Hope these aren't too dumb

Dave

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones