• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving to a Moto Droid

-=Jeff=-

Android Expert
Jan 2, 2010
Bartlett, IL
I am current Eris user. due to some issues that the VZW TEch Rep believes might be in my phone, she offered me a chance to switch. since I am just outside of my 30 days..

Before my 30 was up I was going to get switch for the Moto phone, but the Sales guy sort of swayed me to keep the Eris. Don't get me wrong the Eris is a great phone and I really like it. but the issue I was having was low signal strength.. 1 bar when my Wifes VZW RAZR is a 4 bars sitting next to it.

The Tech Rep said it seemed to be a phone issue per the call drop log, Drops which I NEVER had with my RAZR2.. so I decided to make the switch I think I will like the Moto, but will miss having 7 screens, so I will have to make 3 work for me.. not sure I will root it or not.. just want a phone that works well for me

just wondering, will 2.1 give us any more screens?
Current rumors are that the extra screens were removed if Irecall.

Anyway, regarding the Eris. My gf got one when I got my droid, and while I really like how the phone looks and feels in my hand, I don't think I ever would have been happy with it. Hers does have the issue with losing signal far more often than my Droid does in the same location. Her battery life is also horrible. She can barely make it through an 8 hour workday of texting and making a few calls. Then there's the lag, while the SenseUI looks nice, I notice her phone takes longer to do most things I can on my Droid without hesitation.

I'm glad we picked up both when we renewed cause I was thinking about just grabbing the Eris as well, but figured we should try em both out. Fortunately she has no problem with the Eris, and I made the right choice to begin with. There are times though when even she is unhappy with her phone as it freezes up a little too much for her liking.

Upvote 0
Current rumors are that the extra screens were removed if Irecall.

Anyway, regarding the Eris. My gf got one when I got my droid, and while I really like how the phone looks and feels in my hand, I don't think I ever would have been happy with it. Hers does have the issue with losing signal far more often than my Droid does in the same location. Her battery life is also horrible. She can barely make it through an 8 hour workday of texting and making a few calls. Then there's the lag, while the SenseUI looks nice, I notice her phone takes longer to do most things I can on my Droid without hesitation.

I'm glad we picked up both when we renewed cause I was thinking about just grabbing the Eris as well, but figured we should try em both out. Fortunately she has no problem with the Eris, and I made the right choice to begin with. There are times though when even she is unhappy with her phone as it freezes up a little too much for her liking.

Thanks, helps me feel like switching was the right thing to do for me.

Upvote 0
Thanks, helps me feel like switching was the right thing to do for me.

Not to forget the other advantages the Droid has. 2.0.1 means access to a lot more apps, as well as games that will probably never be able to run on the Eris. No root has been found for Eris yet, yet there's tons of roms to play with on Droid. Can't overclock the Eris, no wifi tether, the list goes on.

That said.. the Eris is a decent phone, but it's more fitting to those who just wanna use their phone for calls, txt, and following their facebook.

Upvote 0
I posted back on your thread when you were on the fence. Hope your signal strength is better with Droid. I had crappy reception at my house with LG enV, but the Eris and Droid were better. Sorry, I didn't note the strength difference if any between the two android phones.

Adjusting to Droid from Eris:

Since that thread I was intrigued by all the root talk around here. Took a few hours off work one day to research, root and install Pete's Black Beast. Makes the phone even better and it gives you 5 home screens. Don't know how technical you are, but if the Droid works out and you find yourself wanting a little more you have options, especially if you're willing to "tinker".

Initially, to adjust moving from 7 screens to 3, I organized my apps into folders and placed the folders on my home screens. Helped, but now I'm not even using the folders and find it faster to just use the app drawer. I don't really need a ton of screen acreage for widgets either, I only have Beautiful Widgets, Touchdown and a few of the stock widgets and app shortcuts. 2 of my 5 screens are now empty, so I have room if that changes.

Also, I've adjusted to the physical keyboard because it periodically comes in handy. Just use a little pressure while you're sliding your fingers around and you'll get the feel for the button mechanisms that are under the individual letters.

Sorry, I need to control these lengthy unsolicited run-ons!!!:eek:

Upvote 0
Yes I remember your posts..

Yeah I realized AFTER the 30 days I should have probably swapped As I was not thinking correctly about resolution of the screens. I prefer not to scroll left to right in a browser, while I still might with the Droid, I think it will be less likely on some sites..

Now with the issues with this, it was noted by the tech I had dropped calls on 5 different towers, so I have the chance to switch.. with my Wife's RAZR that was updated *28 in maybe 2008 LOL it has much better strength and I can call from my basement, unlike my Eris.. Now I will be getting a refurbished Droid (by Choice) which is more budget friendly then paying more for the Droid. I am not concerned with the refurbished as I still get a 1 year warranty..

I have been reading about Pete's Bugless Beast, interested but really don't need the OC the phone.. so that is a possibility although I might try the Multi-touch browser I saw in another post first (native browser for 2.1 not the Dolphin) then go from there

Upvote 0
Nothing wrong with refurbished!

Couldn't make calls from the LG in my basement, but can with the Droid. Don't remember trying with the Eris I had.

Multi-touch map app is nice also - that's been updated, right? I think that happened right after I went beast, so I don't know for sure.

I do prefer multi-touch browsing compared to the stock tap/double-tap zoom which was still functional. I tried Dolphin and didn't care for it. Never tried installing 2.1 browser you're talking about. Beast uses the Milestone browser which always had multi-touch.

Yeah screen resolution makes a difference. You can fit more shortcuts on there, but not as many as you might think because they snap to a grid that is bound by an excessive row spacing. I saw somewhere in here a way to hack that - might have been a ROM that allowed it, don't remember.

Upvote 0
Nothing wrong with refurbished!

Couldn't make calls from the LG in my basement, but can with the Droid. Don't remember trying with the Eris I had.

Multi-touch map app is nice also - that's been updated, right? I think that happened right after I went beast, so I don't know for sure.

I do prefer multi-touch browsing compared to the stock tap/double-tap zoom which was still functional. I tried Dolphin and didn't care for it. Never tried installing 2.1 browser you're talking about. Beast uses the Milestone browser which always had multi-touch.

Yeah screen resolution makes a difference. You can fit more shortcuts on there, but not as many as you might think because they snap to a grid that is bound by an excessive row spacing. I saw somewhere in here a way to hack that - might have been a ROM that allowed it, don't remember.

was Bugless Beast hard to do? Tempted to do it when I get the phone.. only concern is the CPU speed.. I don't need it OC'ed yet

Upvote 0
Rooting wasn't hard, but I was paranoid of messing something up so I took my time, read several guides, and tried my best to understand exactly what each step did and why it was required before I started pushing buttons and downloading update.zip files. I also wanted to make sure I could undo everything in the event I had to go into VZ for help... HA that's funny!

Once you're rooted and if you decide on bugless beast you don't have to overclock. I didn't want to either, but it's so tempting I couldn't help myself :eek:. I'm running 0.7.4 and 0.7.6/0.7.7 are already available, so I'm already behind! Once you get to this point, changing ROM's is pretty easy and quick.

You might want to run it stock for a while. Though these modifications are pretty stable, you'll notice things are not always perfect. I'll get a glitch every now and then that I didn't before rooting, but to me the trade-off is very worthwhile.

Upvote 0
I'm quite sure you won't regret the change. I own a Moto Droid and my mom has an ERIS, and I find the Droid much better in my opinion. Don't worry about the lack of screens, very soon the 2.1 update will roll out and you will have 5 screens. (Even if you wish not to root, you will soon be able to have 5 screens). Personally, I think 7 screens is kind of overwhelming to me. I mean I'm sure it is nice to have the extra room, but I know I only use 3 on my current Droid and I didn't want to even have 5 screens because I only use 3 personally. I kind of wish there was an option to choose how many screens would show up, because I'm sick of seeing those 2 extra screens ever since I rooted my Droid. But what can ya do.. haha welcome 2 the dark side :D

Upvote 0
I hope it works out for me too

is there
A) A highly dumbed down version
For rooting? read some of the posts.. there is one I found that seems straight foward, I think I even found a post here with a Youtube video how-to

is there
B)any kind person who wants to help me through it??

Seems like you can get help on these forums but be sure to read every step and follow them carefully..

I modded my V3c and V3m but did not mod my V9m so I had done it to other phones but I always take my time

I really want Multi touch though or atleast the option to use it in a browser and other things

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones