• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MP3 library and the Android OS

Hi everyone,

:smokingsomb:

This is a thread started by someone who has never used Android and does not even have a smartphone so please do not throw stones at me.

So the reason I'm writing here is mainly because my MP3 player broke and I'm potentially interested in replacing it with an Android phone so I'm inquiring here to assess my potential satisfaction with it!

I have owned an old classic style iPod for about 7 years now and even though I dislike the lack of freedom in Apple solutions, the device has been very convenient librarywise. Now, I don't know much about how convenient Android OS's are for a 60GB or so music library.

I have read that you can import your music to Android and it sorts it automatically into a library. So essentially my questions are, can you then browse by artist, albums or even recently added easily? And is the library linked with the standard Android music player or can you access that library with other apps?

Also, are several hundreds of artists easy to browse through or does it get cumbersome? Are playlists convenient to create on the fly, can you just basically drag and drop to "Currently playing" or to a custom playlist?

By comparing the prices of current high capacity MP3 players such as iPods, Cowons, which are about 300-400$ where I live, I figured I could just get a low-end smartphone for 100$ and get a 55$ 64GB microSD card as an extension. Does that sound like a realistic alternative?

Thanks for reading :)

Vil

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones