• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MP3 ringtone

With my previous EVO, there was the ability to trim MP3's and make them ringtones. I have not looked for that on the Photon, but, I did just copy over the directory from the EVO 4G that was called "Ringtones" which contained all of the trimmed MP3's and placed them on the Photon. As soon as I opened up the setting for the Phone Ringtone, my files were there and worked.

Upvote 0
I have some mp3s on my SD card from my old phone and I use one for my main ring tone.

Easiest way is to go into the Music app and My Library (that's where all my music shows up - I did nothing to get them there) Find the song you want and click & hold on the song until a menu comes up. Scroll down until you see "use as ringtone" Similar but different than the Samsung (I came from the Intercept - almost identical to the Moment)

Upvote 0
ok, where did you place the ringtone directory, and what type of files were in it?

Easiest way to set this up for your current phone and future android phones is follow the following steps:

1) Connect phone to your PC/CPU (make sure the phone is identified as a USB drive)
2) Open File Explorer
3) Click on Drive identifying the External SD card
4) In the Main directory, create a sub-folder named "media"
5) Go into the new "media" folder you created
6) Create sub-folder named "ringtones"
7) Drag and drop OR Copy and paste any and all mp3 or ogg files that you want to use as ringtones (Don't really know what an ogg file is, but that was the name of the sound files that I got from some of the soundboard apps available for download through the market).

After you've created all those folders, you'll no longer need to re-create those ever again. Any additional ringtones you want to add, you can just copy and paste (or drag and drop) into the ringtones folder you created. All you need to do is keep those folders in your microSD card for your future phones and it will work fine.

-EDIT- Additional note. If you want custom "alerts," create a sub-folder in the media sub-folder named "alerts." Copy and paste any mp3's or ogg's that you want to use and those will show up available on your phone.

Reactions: paxham
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones