MP3 Text Notification???Tips

Last Updated:

1. harleyless

harleyless Well-Known Member

I got how to make a custom "ring tone" with an MP3 file, but I want a custom text notification sound via MP3 and I want it different from my ring tone. How in the world do I make this happen?

2. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

load the custom made file on the SDcard, then open the message app and hit Menu>Settings>NotificationSound. Then navigate to your custom file and select it.
  3. harleyless

I guess Im missing something. The file shows up in "ringtones" under phone sounds, but it does not show up under the "text" notification option. Did I miss something?
  4. ScorpDX

Make a file tree like this on the sdcard

\\\\Notifications <ringtones for notifications such as text/email go in here
    \\\\Ringers <Ringers for phone go in here

That will make the notification sounds show up
    ruggrock likes this.
  5. harleyless

WOW, that was easy with your explanation! Now I have my EVO sounding like my BB!! THANKS!
  6. ScorpDX

No Problem, Android is temperamental with the sounds. Sometimes it will let you take them from anywhere on the card. Sometime that folder tree has to be there...
  7. JerryG

JerryG Member

FWIW, Handcent SMS will let you assign different notification tones (and notification bar icons) to different contacts. Though it likes to look in your ringtone folder for the sounds (I really should read the manual... :D)

8. harleyless

Well I like the idea of assigning notifications to different contacts, but I'm not a fan of the bubble text style. Know of anything that just assigns tones to individual contacts?
  9. marriedman624

marriedman624 Well-Known Member

You can change the setting so that it is just a thread style. Go to Handcent SMS > Menu > Settings > Custom Style > Bubble Settings > Conversation Style.

I didn't like the bubble style either, looks childish and hard to read.
    harleyless likes this.
  10. dshep04

dshep04 New Member

Sorry about this, I'm sure I'll sound like a noob, but how do you make the file tree...
  11. jimcraig

jimcraig Well-Known Member

plug phone into pc, create a folder for each he list. add mp3s in appropriate folder.
  12. PriddyShiddy

PriddyShiddy Member

Just download 'android'. It's free, ypu can cut the section you want and save it as notification, ringtone, or mp3
  13. dshep04

dshep04 New Member

does anyone know if it's possible to send the default notifications to another Sprint phone?
  14. ScorpDX

Get a file manager such as astro and navigate to

Long press on the one you want. Then hit "Copy"

Navigate back to your SDcard and longpress then hit "Paste". Now you have the .mp3 file to send however you like.
    dshep04 likes this.
  15. harleyless

I did this via removing the sd card and installing it on a card reader. I was installing data from my stock card to my 16g card at the time...Accessed the sd card and made a file called media. Opened media file and made another file called audio. Opened the audio file and continued the process. Hope that helps...
  16. voodoob

voodoob New Member

Okay How do you assign a individual song to an individual contact for texting? without having the same song for all my text messages. is this possible do i need an app or something?
  17. ScorpDX

I don't think it's doable using the stock messaging app. The HandCent messaging app allows you to do that.