• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MP4 Player: Recommendations request

also depends on what class your SD card is as this would limit the framerate you can watch on your desire. i mean if you want to watch 720p videos and you have lower than class 6 SD card then you will definitelly have a lag and maybe not even able to play those videos. so tell us what compression or source your videos are and your SD card class.
but as far as player is concerned you don't need specific player on desire to be able to play mp4 videos but you can try RockPlayer for free from the market or divX player to watch divx movies.
gives us more detail so then maybe our answers would be more accurate :)

EDIT: forgot to mention that im watching 720p compressed videos at 8mbps framerate and 29fps without any lag on buil-in player :)

Upvote 0
Good point well made! I don't know about the class of the card I'm afraid, I'm not sure how I can find that out (I've tried looking on the Sandisc site without much joy).

I'm watching films that I ripped from DVD using Wondershare DVD - iPod ripper (set for iPod Touch display of 480 x 320 as this is the closest I could find to the Desire display). The files are either:

Frame rate: 29fps
Audio bitrate: 125kbps
Audio sampling: 44kHz

or

Frame rate: 30fps
Audio bitrate: 95kbps
Audio sampling: 44kHz

The majority of the movies I'm watching are with these settings. As I said, my main concern is looking for a player which minimises visual / audio lag. The built-in player that comes with Froyo doesn't seem to recognise mp4 - I just get stripey green screens.

Upvote 0
I'm also looking for recommendations - I want to play back mp4 files recorded at best quality from cable TV using a Sandisk V-Mate memory card recorder. I'm not having any problems with stuttering or sound synch, but when I play back the videos on my Desire using the default ap through earphones, the sound is all swooshy. (I don't have the same problem with mp3s or the radio and the effect is not so noticeable through the Desire's speaker).

Would changing the ap I use or upgrading my memory card help with this problem?

Upvote 0
I've just downloaded the free version of Rockplayer and it plays my mp4 files OK, with the added benefit that the fit to screen actually works and doesn't cut off the top and bottom like the default ap does. The only drawbacks are the ads (which aren't in the paid version) and the red R logo in the corner of the screen. If I buy the paid ap, will it get rid of the logo as well as the ads?

If not, can you recommend another ap which has no logos and where the fit to screen actually works?

EDIT: is Rockplayer actually legit - Google seem to have suspended some versions of it for some reason. Is it safe to buy the full version?

Upvote 0
I use mVideoplayer works fine for my needs.

mVideoPlayer - Android app on AppBrain

I wouldn't get too strung up on the class speed of your mem card either,most decent cards perform faster than the class ratings anyway,I've had no probs with my class 2.And I guess when playing movies it's the read speed that's important not the write so it's irrelevant what write speed it has.;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones