MP4 to MP3 no longers reads as audio on FROYO

Last Updated:

1. Saiyan_Prince

Saiyan_Prince Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've downloaded youtube videos as MP4 on 2.1 and then converted it to MP3. Just by changing .mp4 to .mp3 and the music player was able to read it and i'm able to put it in playlist and listen to it. Now that i've rooted to 2.2 Music player no longer reads it. Have you guys had this problem?

Advertisement
  2. Saiyan_Prince

Any one? There are songs that arent attainable through mp3 apps. So youtube was the best way to get those rare songs. Now i cant even listen to them. Sucks.

3. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Well-Known Member

A tiny clarification that helps explain your problem—you didn't actually "convert" the videos before by changing the extension; you just told the phone that the video was a music file. Converting the file would involve actual transcoding and processing.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable in the ways of Froyo can chime in, but I would speculate that Google changed the way the music player recognises files with Froyo. Before it was obviously finding some kind of playable audio track in the video file, but now it must be looking at the actual format of the file and not just the extension, seeing a video, and ignoring it.

Your best bet would be to extract the soundtrack from the video file (using a video editing program) and convert THAT to mp3 (using an audio encoding program). Then you'll be able to listen to the music AND the file will be smaller.

4. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

the droid plays mp4s. why bother converting?

5. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

Changing the extension from .MP4 to .MP3 without any transcoding shouldn't have worked anyway. The file is still an .MP4 file and contains all the data of what is displayed in the video. Also, .MP3 files and .MP4 files are different in where they store data in the file and how they store it. Even though there is an audio track in the .MP4 file, a music player will not be able to access this unless you properly convert the file so that the file is made is such a way that the music player can understand. I would suggest getting Realplayer. It has a free converter feature that can change .MP4 files to .MP3. Change the extension back on your files to .MP4 first.

6. Saiyan_Prince

Yea...all I did was go into astro file manager and change the names from .mp4 to .mp3 simple as that. And the music player was able to read it. No extracting or anything crazy. I change mp4 to mp3 to listen to the music and have it part of my playlist.