• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MP4 Videos not playing correctly

mariop75

Lurker
Jun 8, 2010
Are there limitations on file size, or something. I knew which formats I can use, so that's not an issue. The issue is that when I put an mp4 on my Evo, it will show up as a black screen with only the audio playing. Those were with larger files, approximately 1.6gb, and 2.3gb. I did get a a smaller file (about 20mb) to play, although the audio was off. So, my question is, what am I doing wrong?

.3gp is simply the container file. Android also supports MP4 container files just fine.

I've had some serious problems getting converted videos to play on the Evo reliably. I have the same problem with the audio playing and no video.

What method are you using to convert the videos?

Upvote 0
Are there limitations on file size, or something. I knew which formats I can use, so that's not an issue. The issue is that when I put an mp4 on my Evo, it will show up as a black screen with only the audio playing. Those were with larger files, approximately 1.6gb, and 2.3gb. I did get a a smaller file (about 20mb) to play, although the audio was off. So, my question is, what am I doing wrong?

Evo is really picky about x264 settings. Check out the handbrake thread in the tips and tricks sub forum.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
You should download a program call mediainfo. It will tell you what kind of codecs is your MP4 is using. It gives you an idea of what is wrong with your MP4.

If you understand MP4 codecs, I can tell you FFMPEG mp4 will work. H.264 baseline MP4 will work. H.264 higher than baseline will not play video but audio is fine.

Upvote 0
I use handbrake to convert to H.264 in an mp4 container. I used that method to convert a dvd rip of wall-e that worked fine. But when I tried it with Superbad, the evo didn't like the resolution it was set to. Audio but no video. After setting the video to a maximum with of 480, instead of 720, and encoding it, it worked just fine. Not sure what was up. Try a different resolution. It might work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones