1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

MS-Dos emulator for Android

1. Silverwing

Silverwing Well-Known Member

Is there an MS-DOS emulator for android 2.0? If not, will there ever be?

Advertisement
    :
  2. johnkzin

johnkzin Well-Known Member

heh. That'd be kind of funny. That and an Apple II emulator.
  3. Silverwing

I'd love to play some old school DOS games, which is why I am asking - like commander keen or something.
  4. Silverwing

Bumpity bump.
  5. Golden Falcon

Golden Falcon Active Member

6. Silverwing

But it is possible - just nobody has done it yet?
  7. Golden Falcon

Golden Falcon Active Member

Yes it should be possible, but nothing at the moment.
  8. kanatacrude

kanatacrude New Member

I don't have it on android market yet but if you'd like to try a beta, it works well and you can have some fun with burgertime, apple panic, night mission pinball, etc.. Just drop me a line at garnet.ulrich@gmail.com. There is a screenshot available at cAndy Apple (ZerOhOh) . Cheers.

BTW, I really need someone with a Droid and/or Nexus to try it out.
  9. T-Virus

T-Virus Member

BUMP I want to play DOS games on my Moment as well. I got Halloween Harry in hope to play it on my phone. =(
  10. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

There's one for the psp, so I'm sure it's very doable on droid phones, assuming they have 200+ mhz processors.
  11. snapcase

snapcase Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's possible. They already have Quake II adapted for android. Home (Quake2Android)

I honestly don't know how they got it working, be it emulator or whatever.. But it's the closest example i know of.
  12. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

It's not the original game emulated though. It's ported. It can be ported because it was released open source. That's why it's on everything.

Won't work with most other things that have to have their original hardware requirements emulated, which probably includes DOS
  13. snapcase

snapcase Well-Known Member

Get someone to port DOSbox to android.

Edit: DOSBox already has linux builds available, and it's open source, so it should be possible. Now getting all controls to work and have full functionality could be a little more difficult.

It would be freaking awesome to have Arena or Daggerfall running on my Droid. Though the controls on those games could be a challenge
  14. CrazyCake

CrazyCake New Member

It's being worked on: aDosBox

Currently in alpha and only supports hardware keyboard. Also slow (needs optimization).

I haven't tried it, I'm just reporting what the website says:
  15. Gwynn

Gwynn Member

With some irony I mentioned the emulators available on Facebook, and first comment I got was someone wanting a DOS emulator to play classic games like Commander Keen, Jazz Jack Rabbit and the like.

Will watch the progress of this app with interest. Imagine playing things like classic SIM CITY or Civilization on your phone!
  16. jirka.h23

jirka.h23 Well-Known Member

Did someone findout how to play without hardware keyboard?
  17. Aseratis

Aseratis New Member

Sorry for the thread necrophilia but i digged up that post while searching for a Dos-Box on google. Point posting is that when you are interested in playing that old games an Amiga emulator may give you what you are looking for. Civ and Sim City for example where released on amiga too. just google "UAE4Droid"
  18. cozzbp

cozzbp New Member

Check out ScummVM for android. It wont work too well for things like commander keen, duke nukem, etc (because of the lack of a good on screen keyboard). But point-and-click games such as Monkey Island, Loom, Kyrandia, King's Quest, Quest for Glory, etc work great.
  19. mrburt

mrburt Member

20. i want a DOS Emulator! i have Adoxbox but it doesnt work with a virtual keyboard!

i only want it to play XCOM, Settlers, and Warcraft :p
    frontier elite II would be nice but i have no idea how you'd control a spaceship, without any keys!

edit: it sort of works!

if you edit the bottom of the dosbox.conf file to can make it jump straight into the game, its mega slow, n no sound but its alive! lol cant type tho, so i didnt get very far on xcom (couldnt name my 1st base!)

anyway the bit to edit says something like

'mount c: /sdcard
    c:
    cls
    @echo off
    @echo Welcome to dosBox'

Simply copy the game to your SD card (mine are in /sdcard/retro/xcom)

then change those lines to
    'mount c: /sdcard/retro/xcom
    c:
    xcom'

it runs real bad, but its a start... lol

also got transport tycoon working, warcraft 2 (cant do much cos no right click), settlers 2, and frontier elite 2, although i cant get past the press Y to continue screen.. lol
  21. bump!

still no dos emulators out there?

im getting impatient! lol
    i've even downloaded all the tools i need to make one myself, but i gave up after epically failing to finish the hello world tutorial!
  22. Red_Avatar

Red_Avatar Well-Known Member

DOSBox will never properly run on Android on the current gen phones, I'm afraid. We'll need to wait a few years before the hardware is powerful enough to be able to handle it - but it shouldn't run THIS slow! A game like Dizzy used to run on the weakest of weakest CPUs - even in DOSBox, my 10 year old PC could run it. I hope they find the cause of this so we can at least run the late 80s and early 90s games such as Money Island (yes, there's ScummVM but those only support very limited number of games).
  23. Purpdino

Purpdino New Member

I have found an application just today called aDosBox free on android market, heres the website [1] and i just got the elderscrolls arena to play on my phone, i have not yet figured out the controlls but the game is running and quite well actually.
    first i downloaded the app
    then plugged my cell phone in to my laptop and used it as a seperate drive
    then i downloaded the tes arena game from [2] and unpacked into a file just named Arena under my c drive on my comp. then i simply transfered the files to my cell phone under my sd card naming it ARENA
    when i ran the dos program it set up my sd card as the c drive and from there i typed in
    mount c c:/arena (enter)
    c: (enter)
    cd \arena (enter)
    arena (enter)
    from this point the game booted up and im playing it now!
    hopefully this makes sense, im kinda new to the forums
    just msg me if you have qs!
    ill post website links after this post cause i cant make links for some reason!!!
    prasid likes this.
  24. Purpdino

Purpdino New Member

[1]http://androiddosbox.appspot.com/
    [2]http://www.elderscrolls.com/arena/