• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MSN Widgit and charging by USB port

-markie-

Apr 2, 2010
Hey,

Just wondered if there is a MSN widget so i can receive live instant messages. My friend had one on his nokia n900 and it was pretty cool.

Also will the desire allow charging of the phone via a usb connection i.e usb port on a laptop/desktop computer?

The android OS along with others are all multitasking OS'. Sometimes an application goes into a sleep state which will then resume on restart/ reload.

If you have a task killer then you may need to add the client to the ignore list. But I browse the web and listen to music all the time. Meebo will play the notification when you get a message. And you just need to pull down the notification bar to be taken to the main chat window.

Because of the multitasking nature, an application killer is pretty much required as otherwise you'll find that you have a lot of programs running, consuming precious memory when all along you thought you had stopped using it.

If you have barcode scanner installed you can scan this barcode to quickly find it on the market place: http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/communication/meebo-im_mmv.html

Upvote 0
The android OS along with others are all multitasking OS'. Sometimes an application goes into a sleep state which will then resume on restart/ reload.

If you have a task killer then you may need to add the client to the ignore list. But I browse the web and listen to music all the time. Meebo will play the notification when you get a message. And you just need to pull down the notification bar to be taken to the main chat window.

Because of the multitasking nature, an application killer is pretty much required as otherwise you'll find that you have a lot of programs running, consuming precious memory when all along you thought you had stopped using it.

If you have barcode scanner installed you can scan this barcode to quickly find it on the market place: Meebo IM for Android - AndroidZoom.com

Really, this may have been true with older android phones, but you DO NOT need a taskiller with the Desire, trust me on this.

-markie-, Yes, every android phone is a multitasking phone. Let me give an example. I open nimbuzz and sign in. Then I press the home button and i'm back to the desktop. Nimbuzz is still running in the background, and as soon as someone sends me a message there will be a new item in the notification bar, i drag it down and click the new icon and am taken to the new message!

Easy as pie :p

Upvote 0
Will it continue running and getting notifications if you put the phone in standby or it logs you out?

Of course it does. In fact any apps that are opened in the Android OS will continue running in the background until the system needs more memory and then the app will be "killed". But Android is smart enough to recognize certain apps like Ebuddy, Nimbuzz or any apps that the user wants to run in the background at all times so it does not kill these apps. So yes, if someone IMs you, you'll receive a notification just like receving a SMS or email.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones