1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

MSNTalk - Battery Drain? Other IM programs?

Last Updated:

1. Garrick

Garrick New Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 8, 2010

I just purchased an HTC Desire Z a few days ago and one of the first apps that I have downloaded is MSNTalk since I do a lot of messaging on MSN Messenger. I leave this app on all the time and I feel that it drains my battery considerably.

I've gone through the basic "conserve your battery" steps that many people have mentioned (i.e. no wi-fi, low backlight, increase email sync time, download only headers, kill running apps that are doing nothing, etc, etc.). However, my battery does not last more than 22-23 hours.

This 22-23 hours is with extreme minimal usage since I wanted to test the idle life on the phone. 22-23 hours of battery life without much use is quite bad imo, especially with the steps taken above to try and conserve more battery. The only thing I haven't tried yet is completely turning off MSNTalk and then testing how long the battery lasts. As we speak, my phone is charging and when it is at full battery life I will see if MSNTalk was indeed the culprit here.

Also, with MSNTalk on during the 22-23 hours the amount of data usage was around 8-9 MB/day. I think this is fairly high as well. This means the 3G was being used constantly.

I'd just like to know if anyone else has used MSNTalk and found the same issues with the battery life.

If it is indeed MSNTalk, does anyone have any suggestions on a good MSN IM app that is very good on the battery (i.e. BeeJive, EBuddy, etc)? For example, my friend uses BeeJive on his iPhone and it doesn't have the same battery issues as I do (he can easily go over a day).

2. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2010
    imo.im is supposed to be push. I recently installed it but haven't used it yet as I haven't had to IM much recently.

Push is supposed to be better for battery life. imo.im includes MSN and Skype as well as the other IM platforms.