1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

MTP application - is it harmful?

1. pranaymeher

pranaymeher New Member

Hi All,
    Recently I upgraded my Galaxy S2 firmware to 2.3.6. Earlier when I used to connect my phone to PC it launched Kies on my phone. By pressing Home key I used to stop the kies and leave the phone for charging up.
    Now after upgrading to 2.3.6, when I connect to PC, my phone lauches MTP application and my phone gets connected to my PC i.e. it can transfer data between phone and PC. But I do not get an option on my Windows PC to disconnect the phone as I would get whenever i plug any USB device to my PC. And I feel disconnecting the USB cable once the charging is done, it would harm my phone as I haven't unmounted the USB device (my phone). Please let me know what are your views on this.

Advertisement
    :
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Press home button then you can just pull it out.
  3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

With USB mounting your card could only be mounted to one device at a time, phone or pc. MTP allows multiple device access so the unmount isn't supposed to matter.
  4. pranaymeher

pranaymeher New Member

Hi There,
    I used to press Home key in previous version of Android which would stop the Kies application. But in the new version Kies does not start and my PC does not show this as a USB connection. So in this case pulling out the pin seems bit risky to me. All Galaxy Note users must be facing the same problem.
  5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

There's no problem, MTP doesn't have an eject or unmount.

They did this to save the many who kept forgetting to eject/unmount from the PC and to switch from USB to charging mode.
  6. pranaymeher

pranaymeher New Member

Hey, Thanks a lot man...