• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MTP driver issue

I went to this link and tried to download and install. It asked to run a validation tool. Then a window popped up saying, "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that your system clock is accurate."

So, it is not possible to complete the install.

To reiterate, the weakest link is the micro USB cable used. The standard kies software should work fine provided that the cable is up to snuff. For whatever reason, the S3 is pickier than any other USB device that I have ever owned. Yes, I have been through the wars. YMMV

Upvote 0
To reiterate, the weakest link is the micro USB cable used. The standard kies software should work fine provided that the cable is up to snuff. For whatever reason, the S3 is pickier than any other USB device that I have ever owned. YMMV

I have already tried the Kies software and am using the micro usb cable supplied with the S3. Does not work.

Upvote 0
I have already tried the Kies software and am using the micro usb cable supplied with the S3. Does not work.

Guess what, the one with my S3 didn't work either. The one provided with my Logitech remote (650) actually did :). No idea why, other than it had a better fit and actually clicked when I plugged it in.

In the end, the micro USB on the S3 is marginal. In a pinch, I use AirDroid to transfer files, but is not as fast.

Upvote 0
FWIW, the cable that came with my S3 is what I now use to connect either it or my Acer Iconia A500 notebook to my Win7x64 PC, and it works perfectly every time. I have encountered times when I needed to reboot both the PC and Android device to make the connection, but I don't think it has anything to do with the cable. It's a Windows USB "detection on boot up" issue I am pretty sure. I make weekly backups from the S3 to my PC, so I have used it many times since I got the S3. The generic cable I had always used previously when I had my Droid X just decided one day to stop working. So I can't complain about the Samsung S3 USB cable at all.

The Iconia's cable works, but the stupid thing is only 4 feet long, barely enough to reach between my desk and front USB ports on my PC cabinet on the floor.

Upvote 0
I have made some progress trying to get my pc at work reconizing my S3 as a device not a camera(xp sp3). With usb debugging ticked I now get android samsung come up in the device manager. It can not find the drivers. Where can I download the drivers it is looking for? samsung just points me to kies. kies does not connect on this pc.

Upvote 0
I have made some progress trying to get my pc at work reconizing my S3 as a device not a camera(xp sp3). With usb debugging ticked I now get android samsung come up in the device manager. It can not find the drivers. Where can I download the drivers it is looking for? samsung just points me to kies. kies does not connect on this pc.

Kies should install all the necessary USB drivers, even if you can't use Kies itself. If things are working properly, you should seen screens similar to those found here (although they are for Windows 7, they should be similar to XP).

If you would prefer, you can also load the latest USB drivers separately.

In the end, getting the USB to work on the Galaxy S3 is certainly not as simple as other devices (in my case primarily due to cable issues).

Upvote 0
Here's a link to the USB driver on the Samsung website (which is hidden under far too many menus to click through)

Support - Verizon Wireless Cell Phones SCH-I535 | Samsung Cell Phones

When you land there, click on 'see all downloads'. Then on that page click on the tab marked 'software'. This link I posted was directly from that last step, but their convoluted website won't take you directly there from the link.

Note: if you let Windows try to find and install this driver it won't, and you won't have USB file transfer that works.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about what that MTP Kit installs, but I'm guessing it installs a driver somewhere that is needed that windows just fails to do on it's own.. Odd, but whatever... I installed it on Win7 64bit and it's good, even though it's not listed in the sys req's.

Also, if you get this: "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that your system clock is accurate."

Open the original file page (not the genuine check page) in IE and allow it to run the active x check's through IE. Then download the file from there. I had this same problem and had to debug how to get around that before I could get around the previous hurdle XD

Also, I didn't realize this till just now, but I have a Galaxy S, not an S III. But it's running Android 4.1.1, not the 2.1 that comes with it. But this is still relevant to the topic. It's at least worth a try.

Upvote 0
That is interesting. I have an old cable from the Samsung Droid Charge and my wife has a cable from her Droid Incredible. I will try both of these and report back.

Update: my s3 will not connect for usb transfer using any of the 3 cables: s3 cable, droid charge cable, droid incredible cable.

The problem of being unable to transfer files via usb remains.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about what that MTP Kit installs, but I'm guessing it installs a driver somewhere that is needed that windows just fails to do on it's own.. Odd, but whatever... I installed it on Win7 64bit and it's good, even though it's not listed in the sys req's.

Also, if you get this: "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that your system clock is accurate."

Open the original file page (not the genuine check page) in IE and allow it to run the active x check's through IE. Then download the file from there. I had this same problem and had to debug how to get around that before I could get around the previous hurdle XD

Also, I didn't realize this till just now, but I have a Galaxy S, not an S III. But it's running Android 4.1.1, not the 2.1 that comes with it. But this is still relevant to the topic. It's at least worth a try.

Tried this on my s3, still fails to connect with usb.

Upvote 0
Do you happen to have old drivers installed for an old Samsung phone? I was trying to mess with contacts and finish moving my stuff from my old phone to this new one (my galaxy s) and when I hooked up my old phone, it installed it's drivers. Once I disconnected it and hooked my Galaxy S back up, it wouldn't connect. Removed the old PC Studio and it's crap and retried and lo and behold, it works again XD Also, when I hook it up, I have to give it a minute in windows and it'll eventually show up after 30 seconds-ish.

Upvote 0
What needs to happen at this point is for prominent android websites to call Samsung out for failing to deliver competent tech support for usb transfers. I would like to see websites like Phandroid put this on their front page to pressure Samsung to fix the problem. There is no excuse for this kind of crappy support. Samsung knows about the problem; I have spoken with numerous Samsung tech support people and they have no solution.

And this is why, as much as I like the s3, I do not recommend it to my clients, friends, or family. It fails the "it just works" test in this important area.

Upvote 0
I have been trying to connect my GS3 to my computer for 2 weeks now an have failed miserably. Every time i connect it kies starts up and the MTP drivers start installing but always fail so the phone is definitely recognized. Im using a 32GB model and interestingly enough my brothers 16GB GS3 had no issues when i hooked it up to my computer, it is recognized and the MTP drivers installed for it. I have tried uninstalling kies, samsung drivers and MTP drivers from my computer and restarting and even reset my phone only to have the same results. I already have all my apps setup and i dont want to return it unless i really have to, can anybody help me figure this out?

I have tried plugging my phone into a windows 7 64-bit PC and Laptop and it will not work, i found this work around.

I set the phone to Camera (PTP) and my problem was sorted, it now connects every time, now when i click start/computer i see a camera listed as a portable device, clicking on it shows two drives phone and card

I can now move pictures play video and everything i expect i would have been able to do if i had it set on Medis Device (MPT) and it had worked.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
I have tried plugging my phone into a windows 7 64-bit PC and Laptop and it will not work, i found this work around.

I set the phone to Camera (PTP) and my problem was sorted, it now connects every time, now when i click start/computer i see a camera listed as a portable device, clicking on it shows two drives phone and card

I can now move pictures play video and everything i expect i would have been able to do if i had it set on Medis Device (MPT) and it had worked.

Hope that helps.

Would you be willing to describe the exact details of how you got it to work? As in a step by step process for others to follow.

Upvote 0
Would you be willing to describe the exact details of how you got it to work? As in a step by step process for others to follow.

No problem.

With the phone connected to the USB port go to the home screen and pull down to access the Wi-Fi, GPS, sound menu.

If you are having driver issues as i was it will say connected as a media device but you cannot see anything when you go to start - computer.

If you click on "connected as media device" you will have have two options, change it to Camera (PTP) you will hear a sound from the PC and now when you go into start - computer there will be a camera icon, double click it and you will see two drives card and phone.

Upvote 0

This doesn't work for me. With the phone connected in PTP mode, windows beeps 3 times to indicate a problem & no camera icon.

Upvote 0
This doesn't work for me. With the phone connected in PTP mode, windows beeps 3 times to indicate a problem & no camera icon.

There are a few threads about this, you may find something helpful in them -

My thread - http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/603279-hardware-id-missing.html

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/605719-somebody-shoot-me-no-connection-pc.html

http://androidforums.com/android-applications/607246-do-i-need-galaxy-s3-windows-7-drivers.html

Upvote 0
No problem.

With the phone connected to the USB port go to the home screen and pull down to access the Wi-Fi, GPS, sound menu.

If you are having driver issues as i was it will say connected as a media device but you cannot see anything when you go to start - computer.

If you click on "connected as media device" you will have have two options, change it to Camera (PTP) you will hear a sound from the PC and now when you go into start - computer there will be a camera icon, double click it and you will see two drives card and phone.

Reporting back on this, did not work. Camera icon does not show up under start menu, computer.

Upvote 0
Can someone check this information?

Under device manager, I have the following details under Samsung Mobile MTP Device:
Driver Date 5/11/2012
Driver Version 2.9.319.511

And also please report back whether your usb connection is working for the s3. Thanks.

I of course have a yellow exclamation point under device manager since the driver cannot install correctly.

Upvote 0
I spoke with elevated tech support at Samsung today. They currently have no solution to this problem. They have known about the problem for one week thus far. I am expecting a driver update in the future to solve it.

It's been nearly 3 months now from the time you posted and there is still unfortunately no real fix from Samsung...

I find that successfully connecting to PC is as random as a throw of the dice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones