• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mugen Power 1800mAh review

lol, took only 7 days for mine to arrive, its worth the wait provided you don't have a ton of apps running in the background chewin up your battery by keepin your phone awake.

My stock battery will last me near 2 days, I am not a power user. Still dont know why I ordered it, especially since I have a car charger too. Oh well, now I can go even longer between charges I guess.

Upvote 0
Anyone have an update on how the $10 battery is working for them? I would like to purchase but dont want to waste $10 if it isnt any better than the stock battery. Thanks.

I'm expecting mine to arrive the middle of next week. Patience, it's coming from Hong Kong.

I tend toward the saying "You get what you pay for!", I really doubt the other manufacturers are marking their battery up that much, the $10 battery is a "too good to be true" item.

Don't forgot, a bad battery can harm your device.

Good Review #1
Good Review #2
Good Review #3

I'm not too worried about it. In fact, I'm excited about 20% higher capacity at 1/3 of the price of the Mugen!

Upvote 0
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but didn't want to create clutter by starting a new one. Maybe there should be one thread titled "Replacement Batteries" ???

Thought I would share. I bought this on eBay. It ships very fast, considering it was from Hong Kong, 12 days from bid close to delivery. It is 1500mAh, not 2000, or 1800, but the ability to swap batteries and charge the extra one without having to plug the phone in is very nice. (the charger can be plugged into either the wall outlet or USB port) Works great...I can't tell any difference between it and the stock battery in terms of usage.

2 Battery + Desktop Charger For Sprint HTC Hero 1500mAh - eBay (item 320483848654 end time Mar-05-10 19:37:49 PST)

Upvote 0
We should have a poll to see who's phone melts first because of the $10.00 battery. OMG, you couldn't give that to me for FREE. Scary.

I love all the negative nancy's in this thread. I bought the $10 battery and will monitor heat and longevity of the battery. is there an app that allows you to monitor heat and gives off an alarm if it gets to a certain temp?

Upvote 0
I love all the negative nancy's in this thread. I bought the $10 battery and will monitor heat and longevity of the battery. is there an app that allows you to monitor heat and gives off an alarm if it gets to a certain temp?

Assuming you have Gumbo's kernel, using the FailSafe profile in the latest version of SetCPU will automaticaly turn down the cpu speed to the min setting if the battery exceeds a certain temp. Defaulted at 40C. Even with my stock battery I've never exceeded this temp indoors with Wifi Tether running constantly.

Upvote 0
Assuming you have Gumbo's kernel, using the FailSafe profile in the latest version of SetCPU will automaticaly turn down the cpu speed to the min setting if the battery exceeds a certain temp. Defaulted at 40C. Even with my stock battery I've never exceeded this temp indoors with Wifi Tether running constantly.

i had a problem with setcpu. It seemed like it drained my battery extremely quick and i was using the same settings as everyone at xda. I'm not running it now.

Upvote 0
i had a problem with setcpu. It seemed like it drained my battery extremely quick and i was using the same settings as everyone at xda. I'm not running it now.

Were you running the "Performance" cpu governor setting? It will drain your battery because it keeps it at the max setting constantly. "OnDemand" will crank it down to min when the phone is sleeping/standby. I actually have slightly better battery life with this setup.

Upvote 0
After reading the specs I noticed that this is a Li-Po battery as opposed to a a Li-Ion. So if this is not a typo then this would explain why people are getting better results than they would with the Seidio batteries. The polymer batteries typically have room for more sells by design. Im guessing that they are more efficient as well when it comes to some of the charge being lost through heat. I will take the plunge when I get a new android phone later this year. The Hero is not worth it to me anymore. I'm sure they will be making batteries for every phone with larger than life hype.

Upvote 0
So to anyone who is expecting this remotely fast, I wouldn't get your hopes up too much--I'm on the second full week of waiting since my 2000mAh battery shipped and I still haven't gotten it. It'll get here eventually >.>

And to everyone that is freaking out about the price of this battery, you have to remember this is made for a completely different phone--I'm pretty sure stock batteries for TP2 (and the other versions of that phone) are 1800mAh. If that's true, 2000mAh isn't much of a stretch, especially if its a LiPo battery like someone said. Anyway, it isn't going to melt. If anything it'll probably just have a much shorter overall life than a better brand of battery (as in you might have to replace it after one year instead of two years like a better brand).

Just a thought, I'm not saying I'm right.

Upvote 0

There is a big difference between "negative" and "cautious"! Most devices are designed to run a particular type of battery at a given discharge rate. You change those factors and you run the risk of doing damage to the device, whatever it may be.

I actually manufacture a product and can tell you, 95% of the time when someone tries to sell me something that looks as good or better than what I currently use at that large of a price difference, there will be problems.

Maybe this is one of the 5%, but I am not willing to take that risk.

Upvote 0
ok.... here's a little of my background with batteries... see my avatar... that's my RC helicopter... battery powered.. LiPo powered to be exact.. Li-Ion batteries like in the phone and LiPo are from the same family..

Someone earlier mentioned that LiPo batteries have more cells.. not true.. LiPo or Li-Ion, the number cells doesn't rely on battery chemistry.. the voltage of a single LiPo cell is going to be listed as 3.7v (nominal voltage fully charged it's 4.2v)..

the batteries used in our phones are single cell 3.7v batteries.. LiPo or Li-Ion same voltage... same chemistry.. just a slightly different way of assembling the cell..

as far as getting batteries from Hong Kong... news flash... there are only a handful of factories that make LiPo/Li-Ion batteries... 99% are in Hong Kong.. the other 1% is in Korea. Batteries with one label on then at a premium price are often made side by side with a no name brand that is priced much lower.

as an example. a battery pack for my helicopter.. a 6s (6 cells in series) 3300mah battery from a top name brand company can cost as much or more than $300 per battery pack... and yet I can get a no name brand from Hong Kong for $69.. at first the helicopter community rejected the low cost batteries... now, they're the most popular to fly.. because they perform just as well and you can buy 3 compared to one for less money.

what I'm trying to say is this... don't be turned away because the price appears to be to good to be true... that $10 single cell battery cost them $2 to make.. they're still making a huge profit.. and chances are you're getting a battery that was made right next to the ones that cost more..

Upvote 0
Someone earlier mentioned that LiPo batteries have more cells.. not true.. LiPo or Li-Ion, the number cells doesn't rely on battery chemistry.. the voltage of a single LiPo cell is going to be listed as 3.7v (nominal voltage fully charged it's 4.2v)..

Sorry it was just an educated guess based on the Li-Po's ability to store more power ounce for ounce in weight. I never claimed to be an expert on batteries. I apologize. But doesn't the Li-Po lack the metal casing and therefore gives it less weight?

Upvote 0
Sorry it was just an educated guess based on the Li-Po's ability to store more power ounce for ounce in weight. I never claimed to be an expert on batteries. I apologize. But doesn't the Li-Po lack the metal casing and therefore gives it less weight?

normally a LiPo battery is a soft pack... no metal case..
but even in the pictures for the battery.. one had it listed as Li_Ion...the other as LiPo

mysticmead, what about discharge rates? Are they the same for both types? I was under the impression that one was higher than the other.

discharge rates can be high or low depending on the cell type. I have batteries for my helicopter (and airplanes) that range from 15C up to 45C..

I got the mugen and only did 2 cycles, I don't seem to get great results. Should I do it more? I do pretty heavy internet usage at work and 8 hours after I unplug my phone I'm below 50 % battery. Is this normal?

battery life can vary from phone to phone.. it also depends on how much you use it as well as the coverage area.. poor signal drains the battery faster than a strong signal. mine will be dead in less than 6 hours while working on dictation work stations in radiology departments due to the shielding there and me getting no signal.

just to put battery life into perspective... these phones are basically tiny computers..or at least we all try to use them as such.. my laptop is doing great to get 3 hours... my sons netbook can go 3.5 hours... my helicopter can fly for 6.25 MINUTES.. getting a full days on a single charge for a handheld computer that is also a phone... that's amazing...

Upvote 0
just to put battery life into perspective... these phones are basically tiny computers..or at least we all try to use them as such.. my laptop is doing great to get 3 hours... my sons netbook can go 3.5 hours... my helicopter can fly for 6.25 MINUTES.. getting a full days on a single charge for a handheld computer that is also a phone... that's amazing...

Very good point!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones