Multi messenger?

Last Updated:

1. gnarlyDUCK

gnarlyDUCK Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone have good comparisons with multi messenger apps?

Im looking at (have not installed yet) Nimbuzz and eBuddy, anyone try these?

Ive seen some comments (unsure if they hold up), but some of the messengers dont give notifications/LED notifications.

So im looking for something that has (facebook, AIM, and gtalk), would like to hear some experiences.

Advertisement
  2. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember VIP Member

eBuddy has never let me down. I've never lost connection and it suits all my needs.

3. gnarlyDUCK

installing both now. Ill try Nimbuzz tonight and tomorrow, then eBuddy sunday and Monday, then tuesday give comparison for others to see.

After reading comments on both, they both seem to have some sort of logoff issue.

4. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

I'm using e-buddy which for the moment seems the most stable. Others I have tried just haven't worked well. On the Win/Mo platform I used Palringo which was absolutely awesome, shame their Android version is not up to that level... anyway, E-Buddy it is for now.

5. gnarlyDUCK

Yea, Nimbuzz was a definite fail.

It didnt even carry me through friday night without disconnecting/reconnecting a dozen times.

eBuddy seems quite solid, and works great. Recommend this anyone looking for a multimessenger. Ill post up some screens for anyone interested in what it looks like.

6. bray424

bray424 Well-Known Member

I've been using Meebo and it seems to connect to almost everything (seriously, I think its capable of connecting to close to 100 different protocols), but for some reason I can never get it to connect to gChat. It keeps on telling me that it's already connect in another location even when I'm not, which seems like an odd error seeing as how at any given time I'll be connected to gChat via Gmail, Digsby, and the Android client simultaneously without any problem.

That one problem aside, I still use it for every other IM protocol.

7. SuperSamson

SuperSamson Member

Hi, I just got the hero today... couple of basic questions after reading around the forums...

Which apps are not recommended to use right now?

Are there any Facebook, Twitter, or instant messaging apps already on the phone, and should I use them? If not which ones should I use?

8. dvdqnoc

dvdqnoc Well-Known Member

The problem with eBuddy is (havent tried nimbuzz) it keeps the phone awake. And that drains the battery a lot. If there was some sort of push feature to where new IM's were pushed to your phone, there would be no need to keep the phone awake the entire time the app is running. But that isn't the case so far with the Hero.

9. jiltedcitizen

jiltedcitizen Member

Only problem with meebo is it breaks on a restart.

10. cooolone2

Restart? Of the phone? FYI, every program "breaks" on a restart. Do you reference to a conversation being stored between sessions? Saved to memory? That is different... if so then you are correct. But, for the money, right now I think meebo works. well, no crashes and connects to almost every service. The stock IM programs that come with the phone stink.
    :)

11. gnarlyDUCK

Yes, there are FB/Twitter/IM apps.
    I personally found it just easier to use FB in the browser, twitter and IM i just dont. I am finding eBuddy quite great though for a multimessenger.

I tried to run Nimbuzz for 24hrs, i could barely make it 6hrs with out reconnecting/disconnecting multiple times. Let me know if its different for you.
    I havent experienced the "awake" with eBuddy. My phone seems to run just as normal as if didnt have it.

12. jiltedcitizen

jiltedcitizen Member

No not every program breaks. Some do, even some google ones which is weird. HTC must have messed up the Manifest loading.

13. gnarlyDUCK

for users wanting to see screens of eBuddy:

eBuddy shortcut icon
    [​IMG]

Buddylist
    [​IMG]

Chat List
    [​IMG]

Current Chat
    [​IMG]

Account List
    [​IMG]

Adding an Account
    [​IMG]

Settings (Auto login option not shown)
    [​IMG]

Sort List
    [​IMG]

14. karalinagirl

karalinagirl Member

For those using eBuddy and NOT experiencing disconnects, do you have a task killer installed? What are your settings on eBuddy & task manager?
    I love eBuddy & Meebo, but both have disconnects

15. gnarlyDUCK

I have TaskPanel, but have not messed with "do not kill" settings.

I recently had some disconnect problems once, i rebooted the phone and it has been working as normal since.

16. cooolone2

I use ebuddy and have used meebo as well. Ebuddy I get no disconnects which is good but bad for battery. It eats some serious battery for sure buy will stay connected unless I disconnect. Meebo on the other hand will disconnect. I have TK but rarely use it.

17. karalinagirl

karalinagirl Member

well geez, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, b/c I have eBuddy and while it stays in the notification bar, it disconnects constantly.

18. cooolone2

Maybe it's nothing in particular you might be doing, but the app itself. Have you tried to uninstall and then re-install E-Buddy? I would give that a shot...
    Also, how many and what type of accounts do you have active? I have Yahoo, AIM & FB (FB sometimes but not always).

Just a suggestion... Hope it helps.

Happy Trails!
    :cool:

19. karalinagirl

karalinagirl Member

Well, I think I have uninstalled and reinstalled before....so idk.
    I have aim, gnome, yahoo, talk in there. The only ones that automatically log in are gtalk since that's really why I have it (multiple gtalk accounts).

20. cooolone2

Hmmm? Ok. Have you tried to see if it is one of those accounts causing the issue? Close one at a time and see if you stay connected then. I don't use Gtalk so also is there possibly a setting within it which might be conflicting with e-buddy? Lastly... lol, have you tried any other multi IM apps to see if it stays connected?

Also, another app may not co-exist nicely with e-buddy... hmmm? Well, try some of those suggestions unless better are offered and let's see what happens.

:)

21. regression

regression Well-Known Member

Does e-buddy have an option to save message history? If so, I assume it is saved on the device itself?

22. cooolone2

On the Android platform, no, not that I'm aware of.

23. MomentUser

MomentUser Member

when using ebuddy and making a custom away message, how do you get rid of the auto msg ebuddy puts at the end, something like *your away msg* - is using mobile device on ebuddy/android etc.. and how do you read someones whole away msg and not have it cut off after two lines

24. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

I find the IM app already on the phone works pretty well, too bad I don't ever really get on my yahoo tho

25. MomentUser

MomentUser Member

my built in IM app "Instant Messenger" wont work all of a sudden. each time i sign in it says error:login failed, check connection settings. no idea how to fix this, and yes my login info i typed in is correct. anybody had this before? everything else works fine besides this.