1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-page TIFF (FAX) display

Last Updated:

1. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there an application that displays multi-page TIFF files? I use an electronic FAX service that emails incoming FAXes as attachments in TIFF format to my Gmail account. The Gmail app (on the Nexus, at least) displays the first page of the FAX inline; furthermore, the "preview" button will open the TIFF file in either Gallery or Astro, and those also show the first page of the FAX. However, I haven't found a way in any of these applications to view the second and succeeding pages. Have I overlooked something, or is there an app that allows this?

Advertisement
  2. iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid Well-Known Member

I can't experiment b/c I don't have any tiff files. Unclear: did you try opening the file from within Astro itself, by directly tapping (or long-press) on the filename? In any event, I'd contact the Astro folks directly. That app does so much, if this is not a feature, they'd likely serious consider a request.
    Contact/form page: http://www.metago.net/astro/contact.php

3. iPhone2Droid

4. wmm

No, I didn't have a copy of the file on the phone directly; when I hit the "preview" button for the attachment in the Gmail app, a dialog box pops up asking, "Complete action using" and giving "ASTRO Image Viewer" and "Gallery" as choices.

Thanks for the link; I'll go there and inquire.

--- Later ---

In response to your other suggestion, I downloaded a copy of the TIFF file from the browser view of Gmail. Unfortunately, when I try to open the downloaded file by browsing to it in Astro, it says it can't open the file. I'm not sure what's going on with that.

5. wmm

Thanks for the reference; I knew I could view it (with all pages) from Gmail on my desktop computer, but it didn't occur to me to try it from the Android browser. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. In the desktop browser (I use Firefox), I get a link to "View" the document as well as to download it, but in the Android browser all that's there is the "Virus scan and download" link.

6. iPhone2Droid

Oh well. I'll revert to my previous suggestion: contact the Astro dev and explain your problem to him directly. Also, I saw some reviews re BeamReader which stated TIFF viewing is included in that app. But when I checked the Market, there's no mention of TIFF, nor at the dev's website. If trying that app confirms no TIFF, I'd put him on my "to-contact" list as well.

FYI: One 11/18/09 review noting BeamReader's TIFF viewing:
    BeamReader PDF Viewer Available for Android
    There are several similar reviews, using identical language, which suggests that it was part of BeamReader's press release.

Finally, for what it's worth, I've been using MaxEMail(.com) for my faxes for years. They come in as PDF attachments, with the caller id in the subject line. Many many moons ago, the fax service I used did only the TIFF thing. Ran into the identical problem you're having, which prompted my switch.

Please let us know how this all shakes out. I've got colleagues dealing with your hassle, so I have more than a passing interest.

7. wmm

Thanks for the BeamReader suggestion. Unfortunately, I think the mention of TIFF in the reviews was erroneous: when I open BeamReader and navigate to the Downloads directory, the TIFF file does not appear (a couple of PDFs I have in that directory do). Also, BeamReader isn't shown in the "Complete this action" list when I "preview" the attachment from Gmail.

I will head over to the Astro developer's site. At the very least, it's strange that I can use Astro to view the first page of the file when it's opened from the "preview" function but not when I select the file from the directory (and I did verify from my desktop computer via USB that that file is okay and not corrupt).

Thanks for your help!

8. juang247

juang247 Member

No tiff file reader on the samsung moment...useless

9. juang247

juang247 Member

TIME TO GO ANDROID-2-IPHONE..... iphone has no problem reading TIFF files..

10. waxings

waxings Active Member

I was looking for the same thing? Anyone have any new ideas?

11. jimboLjones

jimboLjones New Member

12. DJellison

DJellison New Member

I'm using the paid version of "TIFF and FAX viewer" from P.D.A.C. Technologies, LTD. It works as advertised...view directly from email client or file system, however the page aspect ratio is off. I don't see a way to the the page dimensions for a US page. I suspect it is set for A4 or some other page size. It is pricey ($9.99), but worth it if it works consistently. I really would like to see a page setup feature though. ...Android 2.1, Galaxy-S, AT&T Captivate

13. TDF_Software

TDF_Software Member

<personal plug>
    We just released "Fast Image Viewer Free" to the Android market. It's light years faster than what's currently available and allows viewing multi-page TIFF files for free. Unlike a certain competing product which begins with the letter "P" :), FIV does not convert your TIFF file to JPEG images for viewing. The anti-aliased view is created dynamically from the original high-resolution image. Pages load in milliseconds instead of seconds. Also has a friendly built-in file browser which supports displaying animated GIFs and FLI/FICs.

http://market.android.com/details?id=com.tdfsoftware.fivfree&feature=search_result

</personal plug>