Multi touch on Droid-from Milestone

Last Updated:

1. chuk1005

chuk1005 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Multi-touch on the Droid....taken from the milestone ROM

Motorola Milestone firmware coaxed into Droid, multitouch ensues (video!) -- Engadget

Engadget-

"If you thought it'd be easy to move code back and forth between two nearly-identical Motorolas running Android... well, you'd apparently be right. Unfortunately, taking clear video of the completed task proves, as ever, to be an insurmountable task. Of course, the Android hacking community has overcome pretty much every other roadblock it's encountered so far, so it shouldn't come as any surprise to learn that the Milestone's firmware has been successfully ported today over to its big, loud American cousin, the Droid, thanks to the work of AllDroid's Eugene and Barakinflorida who risked their own device for your gain. Our understanding is that the ROM's cooked in some regard -- it's not bone stock, which makes sense if for no other reason than the fact that the Droid's got a completely different radio -- but fortunately, that all-important multitouch support carries over from the Euro side. We're hearing direct from AllDroid's founder, Brent Fishman, that the ROM should drop in a couple of days. Until then, follow the break for a video of the build in action.

P.S. Don't worry Droid owners, Google Navigation is still functional with this build."

YouTube - VIDEO0002

Advertisement
  2. itsgreg

itsgreg Member

This is what we've been waiting for! I hope it's an easy process to install it onto our Droids, without complications.

3. Silverwing

Silverwing Well-Known Member

Somebody should make an APP out of this. Stupid Apple and their BS intellectual property....

4. chuk1005

Yes me too, hopefully just a few more days and we will know.

5. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the milestone has multi-touch keyboard? I really really want one.

But regardless I can't wait for this ROM.

6. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if this enables pinch zoom in Google Maps?

7. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

milestone has full multitouch functionality, i believe.

8. chuk1005

You are correct it does, they have taken the multi-touch functionality from the Milestone and are creating a ROM for the Droid.

9. chuk1005

Im not sure but I believe this will enable multi touch system wide...(my guess)

10. N2o

N2o Active Member

Call me stupid but... the droid already supports multi touch... and the stock apps made by google just don't take advantage of it. Right?

11. chuk1005

You are correct but the milestones native(stock) apps take advantage of it where as the Droid's dont, so thats the benefit of this ROM

12. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

As I understand it individual apps have to be specifically coded to take advantage of it. So the question is whether there's a 'Euro' version of Maps that runs on the Milestone?

13. rhyno

rhyno Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for my ignorance here, but will use of this ROM require rooting?

14. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

Most definitely.

15. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

You will need to root your Droid AND have a custom recovery like SirPsychoS' which can be found at Sholes . Anyone who is going to do this needs to make sure they read everything carefully and be sure you understand what your doing before you get into it. You probably can't permanently brick your Droid but you could mess things up badly enough that it will be stuck in a boot loop.

16. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member

[FONT=&quot]"If you thought it'd be easy to move code back and forth between two nearly-identical Motorolas running Android... well, you'd apparently be right. Unfortunately, taking clear video of the completed task proves, as ever, to be an insurmountable task. Of course, the Android hacking community has overcome pretty much every other roadblock it's encountered so far, so it shouldn't come as any surprise to learn that the Milestone's firmware has been successfully ported today over to its big, loud American cousin, the Droid, thanks to the work of [FONT=&quot]AllDroid's [/FONT]Eugene and Barakinflorida who risked their own device for your gain. Our understanding is that the ROM's cooked in some regard -- it's not bone stock, which makes sense if for no other reason than the fact that the Droid's got a completely different radio -- but fortunately, that all-important multitouch support carries over from the Euro side. We're hearing direct from [FONT=&quot]AllDroid[/FONT]'s founder, Brent Fishman, that the ROM should drop in a couple of days. Until then, follow the break for a video of the build in action.

P.S. Don't worry Droid owners, Google Navigation is still functional with this build.

[FONT=&quot]Update[/FONT]: Better video added after the break! Man, these guys learn fast.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Continue reading [FONT=&quot]Motorola Milestone firmware coaxed into Droid, multitouch [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ensues (video!)"[/FONT][/FONT]

Well...can't be long now before they're forced to pretty much incorporate!
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]

17. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member

Delicious. I'd like it as a patch as opposed to an OS replacement.

18. chuk1005

19. jmccarthy14

jmccarthy14 Well-Known Member

So uhm.

If someone with 2.0.1 is able to install a 2.1 apk of the SenseUI keyboard (which runs but errors saying 'not an htc device'), why would they need to root to run a 2.0.1 apk of the droid keyboard?

Not sure why we can't just take the multi-touch enabled apps we want...

I know its possible there may be a reason, but everyone seems so sure it will take a whole ROM.

20. lvlln

lvlln Well-Known Member

Someone already tried putting the apps from Milestone onto the Droid. But they found that it didn't work, because it relied on some system files for multitouch. That's why a root and a ROM would be required.

21. jmccarthy14

jmccarthy14 Well-Known Member

There's the reasoning, thank you.

22. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

So aside from adding multitouch to the stock browser and stock gallery app, what other apps are affected? Anything? Seems like that's it. And if that's the case...well I guess I don't see that it's worth the hassle to put this on my Droid. I've already got multitouch in my gallery app, and there are a couple different multitouch browsers on the Market. Soooo what am I missing?

23. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member

Multitouch keyboard