Multimedia Dock - change default media playerSupport

Last Updated:

1. nwgman

nwgman Member This Topic's Starter

So far I am absolutely loving everything about the Droid and Android 2.0 with the exception of the standard media player. I downloaded MixZing from the Market and have been pleased with the look and feel and performance of it. So it may be too soon since the Droid just came out but has anyone figured out how to change the default music player?

Advertisement
  2. fpcreator2000

fpcreator2000 New Member

That is exactly what I want to know.

3. jlatour88

jlatour88 Active Member

i would like to no this as well..... anyone?

4. fpcreator2000

fpcreator2000 New Member

It seems that it depends on the player but Mixzing does not have that capability yet although Tunewiki does. I still have to look into it a little deeper though.

5. datacreek

datacreek Member

I want to know also. Using Meridian player everywhere but when it's docked. Doesn't even ask.

Hopefully there will be a solution. For those of us who listen to audio books while falling to sleep it's kind of a must.

Strange that Tunewiki works while Meridian and MixZing do not.

6. datacreek

datacreek Member

Well one thing we can do. Hit the "Home" icon in dock mode and use whatever player you like. This is what I'll be doing until we find more control over dock mode apps.

7. mtraina7

mtraina7 Active Member

I too share this hatred for the default music player. It suuuucks. I just downloaded NemoPlayer and love the way it looks. But since I have a headset, if i press the play button on my headphones it just turns on the default player.
    On the dock, however, the music button still seems locked into the default player. But when I pressed the picture/media button, it asked what program I wanted to open the pictures with and gave me the option to set NemoPlayer as the default. Now if we can just figure out how to do that with the music player we really have something here.

8. hawkian

hawkian Member

No progress here?

A lot of people want bTunes as their default.

9. Trapper31

Trapper31 Well-Known Member

I'd also love to change the default media player in dock mode. No luck though?

10. klowjur

klowjur New Member

i have a mytouch 3g 1.2 and i was able to delete the default player but it didnt set the only player in my phone as default.

11. wormywyrm

wormywyrm Member

I have the same problem! I downloaded the nexus one dock app too (for droid) and it has the same problem...

Although it does have this handy dimmer after a minute of not using the phone it dims and displays the time only. But it has another additional problem of not displaying my background image correctly.. Urg.

12. mcui

mcui New Member

Settings--Applications--Manage applications...

Then choose and click the media player application you want to make it unactivated. You will find a button named as "clear default", click it and Done... Good luck!

13. flyboy852

flyboy852 New Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the forum, I am brand new to Andriod and I have learnt a lot from reading this forum. Guess the more "brains" we have, the more ideas we can gather.

I agree the default (built in) player sucks big big time. I am using a Sony Xperia Arc S (and I enjoy using it very much), beautiful phone but I wish there are some programs that we can uninstall at will.

My observation and tests have proven that if there are no media player already running, the default player will be "in-charge" of the music when you want to play something.

For instance, if I use my blue tooth to listen to music, if I haven't already started any media player beforehand, when I press play on my blue tooth, the default player will start playing.

Another scenario is, if I have already started running Winamp (manually) before I press play on my blue tooth, Winamp will be the player in-charge of the music.

Sounds easy? Nope, it doesn't stop here.

That is until I hide Winamp from sight. What does that mean?

It means after I started using Winamp, then I press the left hand button (I think it is the "back" button, the one with the arrow), or home key so that Winamp is not on the main screen and reduced to only an icon in the notification bar, when I press play on my blue tooth, the default player will suddenly start playing again.

What's bizarre is, two streams of music will be played at the same time. One played by Winamp (before I hid it in the notification bar), the other by the default player (also the notification bar).

However, if I didn't hide winamp from view, I can still safely turn the screen off and use my blue tooth to control winamp.

What's more is, if I connect the phone to my TV via HDMI, the telephone's screen will come back "alive" (the screen is touch sensitive again) when I use the blue tooth to forward or backward a song. The screen doesn't come back on if it isn't connected to the TV though.

It is a bit frustrating but I guess I can live with the limitations without being upset. I suppose it is important to know about the short comings of the program and constantly giving the programmers feedback. Android is still a very young OS!

Conclusion is, if I want to use Winamp, I will not hide it from sight, I'll leave it as a full screen on the phone (though the screen can be turned off safely and not be "waken" if it is not connected to TV via HDMI).

Hope this helps clearing some of the frustrations people are having.

Enjoy your phone, your pads, whatever you are using!

14. ajuul

ajuul New Member

Dear all.
    To change the default music player you have to be rooted or in some way to have permission to change the firmware:
    One thing is to change the default app for certain file types i.e. *.mp3 but this will not change the default music player - only the default file type-player:
    Android is built around something called Activities and this is very deep down in the system. It can be changed (and vary with the phone), but you have to get your phone rooted.

Most programs do not change the Activity : They just use whatever Activity that comes with the phone and put a lot of smart stuff on top.

/ajuul

15. Andima

Andima Well-Known Member