Multiple Gmail accountsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. snowsrfr

snowsrfr Member This Topic's Starter

My wife recently got a Droid Eris, set up her Gmail account and decided she didn't like the email address you had chosen. I created a second Gmail account for her, but when I try to send her and email to it, she does not get notiification on her phone. Only if you send and email to her "original" Gmail address. Is it possible to set it up to receive notifications from both addresses on her phone? Delete one address and just use the new one? Etc, etc. etc......

Advertisement
  2. sierrarot328i

sierrarot328i Active Member

hard reset and reenter the gmail address

3. snowsrfr

Where do I re-enter the Gmail address? Like I said it's the wifes phone, so I don't know much about it. With my Motorola Droid they did it at the store with my existing account so I haven't had a the experience of setting up a Gmail account on an Android phone. (God only know where she put the user manual for it.....)

4. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

don't do a hard reset, that is a pain in the butt...to be able to change your main acct

all that is really linked is the gmail app itself.

go to settings>applications>manage applications

find gmail and clear data

go back to gmail app and it should ask for a login

IF NOT

go back to manage apps and start clearing anything with google on it. its ok, brand new phone, you wont lose anything

this worked fine for me and is easier then a reset

5. snowsrfr

That did it. Thanks everyone.

6. UncleD

UncleD Member

FYI, deleting the information from everything that has google on it will also delete the names associated with your phone numbers. Ask me how I know. lol All of the phone numbers in my list say "Unknown" next to them. :)

7. Caddyman

should be able to resync with google no?

8. UncleD

UncleD Member

I might, if I knew how to do that. Let me mess with it. I didn't think or even know I could do that :)

9. Caddyman

settings > data sync > google > contacts

10. UncleD

UncleD Member

Didn't work for me. But, I didn't have auto-sync turned on, so that may have been the cause.

11. Caddyman

how did you get the contacts on your phone originally?

12. UncleD

UncleD Member

They (Verizon) copied them over from my old phone, which I traded in, so I no longer have it.

13. MadDreamUser

MadDreamUser Member

Contact related question: how do I "reset" the contact sync groups? What I mean, is that I have created new Groups in gmail contacts (via web), but they don't "show up" on the Dream's View Groups or Edit Sync Groups (inside the Contact application.) My Auto-sync is on, and I've even tried to manually sync, but the Dream's contact groups are not updated.

Thanks!

14. Caddyman

if you have absolutely no backup, and you no longer have that old phone you are kinda SOL and i feel bad :(

you have no backup on like my verizon? never backed up to sd card? nothing?

15. MadDreamUser

MadDreamUser Member

Let me rephrase that a bit... Actually, the new contact group names sync perfectly, but the Google provided ones (Coworkers, Friends, and Family) don't... Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround, other than just creating Coworker1, Friends1, etc.

16. UncleD

UncleD Member

Please do not feel bad. I searched for information and found this thread to be as close to what I was needing to do as I could find. I took it upon myself to try these steps :)

No, I do not have any back up for my phone list. But I'll just repopulate it slowly :)

I and others can learn from my mistake here. Make sure you have auto-sync activated so you don't lose your information!

17. Busbar

Busbar Active Member

Yes, it's a known issue.., Hopefully v2 will bring relief. I created a new group (just one) called "tmp", and added coworkers, friends, family... all to "tmp" group (you can belong to multiple groups). Unless you use groups as mailing distributions, there's really not much point in creating a separate group for each. When this bug is resolved, I'll delete "tmp".

18. MadDreamUser

MadDreamUser Member

Yep, known issue, found that out with more Googling around... I ended up creating new custom groups with same names with an "_" appended. It works.

As for getting 2.0 to resolve this... forget it... :mad: I'm on a Rogers Dream, and they will no longer support the Dream past 1.5... and before you ask, no, I'm not eligible to the Magic upgrade.