Multiple Newbie QuestionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. upsavr

upsavr Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey
    I have some questions here:

1. I have mp3 on my SD card, how come when I do the search it doesn't pull up my music?

2. Is there a gmail widget? The mail widget when I set to gmail doesn't seem to sync with the gmail app.

3. When I delete email on my handheld is there a way not to delete on my actual email account I would view by browser?

4. What is a ROM?

5. What is the difference between a widget and app?

6. Do apps continually run? Is there a way to close them?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

1. what are you using to search? try an app called "Astro". Do you have the SD card mounted?

2. Yes, however, IMO, in the market there is an app called "Gmail Unread Count" and it's better.

3. not sure

4. ROM refers to "Read only memory"

5. a widget is something that exists on your home screen someplace that allows you to quickly access information, that may exist within an app. think of an app as "software" or a program

6.some do, some don't. Android OS is designed to shut them down when they're no longer needed.

3. upsavr

TheSultan
    So I loaded up MP3's to my SD card from my computer and then put it into the Incredible. It seems that it somehow moved the mp3s onto the device memory? Is that possible? Because the total space vs available space is the same on the card (and yes it is mounted).
    I don't know how to find the mp3s on my device or SD card.

Any ideas?

Thanks

4. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Well-Known Member

If you plug your phone into your PC and set it to use the storage mode, your PC will recognize two drives, the on-board memory and your SDHC card. If you install Astro File Manager, the on-board memory can be accessed by going to the home directory, clicking the up icon, and going to the emmc folder. Once you see what's in that folder, go to your PC and make note of which drive matches that folder (be advised that Astro cannot access the cards while plugged into the PC so you have to look at that folder before mounting to your PC).

On my SD card I've created folders for music and such so that as soon as I open the drive through my PC, I can immediately tell which is the SD card and which is the on-board memory based on the folders I've created.

5. upsavr

Thanks, I just don't understand how it is possible for me to load up the SD card with music, put it in the device, and then the device show the SD card with full storage capacity. And in addition why doesn't the Incredible recognize my music when I type in song titles under the search?

Thanks

6. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Well-Known Member

It's likely that you put the music files on the on-board memory rather than the SD card. As for why they won't show up in a search? I've no clue.

7. upsavr

Does your music show up on your search? Meaning the actual song names?

8. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

Try not doing a search, just open the "music" app and then hit the little "list" icon on the left and see if you can browse your music.