1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Multitasking/App Switcher ?

Last Updated:

1. dougrb

dougrb Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I find it a bit silly that one of the main draws of an Android phone is the fact that it can multi task, yet there's no real way to quickly switch between apps. Yes, I can hold down the home button, but that only brings up recently used apps, and not ones which are currently running (necessarily).

I tried some third party app, but I really hate how it works. Can't remember the name of it now, but it was free and had a paid version as well. Anyway, I'm open to suggestions and would appreciate them.

Doug

Advertisement
  2. dougrb

Bump ? Is it because there really are no decent solutions to this silly "issue" or just that people don't find that it's an issue in general ? I would assume people aren't too much in denial, since there are apps out there which deal with this.

Doug

3. dougrb

Really ? Well, I'm gonna bump again anyway.

Doug

4. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

what you want is a process explorer and is usually a third party option like you said. For *most* users a list of 6 or 8 recent apps is just fine, but thats something thats easily configurable with roms and whatnot. Some phones (galaxy s) have a more advanced task manager style interface for that, and for a popular phone like the evo I'm sure something has been cooked up at xda for that purpose.

someone else will have to explain the finer points of android memory management to you, but not every app that you switch "away" from is actively running all the time. android is very very smart about memory management.

if you really want to see whats running on your phone (applications - running services) you're going to get a list of about 50 things like com.process.google.stuff that don't mean anything and you really *don't* want to go about closing.