Multitouch for Android

Last Updated: 2010-12-13 23:57:34
  1. adi19956

adi19956 Well-Known Member

I recently heard of Meego, a venture by Intel and Nokia.
    On this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbwx0XpIYbc at 2:07, the man demonstrates 5 point multitouch!
    Well my HTC Legend barely works with 2 points, it's okay for pinching to zoom but once you're on a game and trying to use two fingers to do different things at once, it completely fails.
    I was just wondering, what is the maximum number of points that Android can cope with (if there is a limit) and what devices I could expect to see this on.
    I want to buy a tablet you see :)

Advertisement
  2. Medion

Medion Well-Known Member

Depends on the sensor. Most older phones, including up to the Nexus One and HTC Desire, used a Sunaptics 2000 sensor that was meant for single touch, but could support limited dual touch (which experiences errors when you crossed axis). Newer phones, even Desire derivatives like the Evo and Incredible, use a TouchMax sensor that advertises "unlimited" touches but in real world supports up to 10. I think this is because they haven't found anyone with enough fingers to push it to its' limits :)

Not sure if there is a software cap on Android, but the problem you were experiencing was hardware related.
    adi19956 likes this.
  3. adi19956

adi19956 Well-Known Member

I know mine was I just wondered for others. Thanks :)