Multitouch gallerySupport

Last Updated:

1. lilivo1

lilivo1 Member This Topic's Starter

can anyone explain to me (or simplify) these instructions on how to get multitouch on my gallery. please forgive me i know that i am very ignorant when it comes to this type of stuff. but any help would be greatly appreciated

Four steps:
    1) Push com.motorola.aui.jar to /system/framework on your phone
    2) Add this line to the end of your /etc/permissions/platform.xml file:
    <library name="com.motorola.aui" file="/system/framework/com.motorola.aui.jar"/>
    3) Reboot your phone
    4) Push MediaGallery.apk to /system/app

got this info from this thread
    AllDroid.org - View topic - [release] Milestone multitouch gallery (alpha, works 90%)

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

First things first . . . are you rooted?

3. lilivo1

Yea I'm rooted. I was even able to do the pinch to zoom browser. I'm good at following directions just not very good when there aren't any. Lol

4. messenger13

Unfortunately, I have an early morning and have to get to bed. If someone doesn't help you by tomorrow, I'll be back to walk you through it. Seems pretty straight forward to me. :)

(It's only a few steps ... but I know how these things go. Next thing I know it'll be 3am. ;) )

5. lilivo1

lol... early morning? its 2010 who does that? lol. j/k thanks for all ur help. and i will be waiting

6. messenger13

First of all, have a working knowledge of ADB (Android Debug Bridge) comes in handy for a lot of rooting stuff. But it is not the be all / end all. For instance, I can accomplish this hack by using the paid app, Root Explorer. But Root Explorer is not without a learning curve, and it's share of caveats.

The best ADB HowTo guide I have found is located HERE ... assuming you're a Windows user. If not, other tutorials can be found on that same site.

Is that enough help for now? Or would you rather I gave you a step-by-step HowTo? And do you want to use ADB, or Root Explorer?

7. hopla

hopla Active Member

If a step-by-step isnt needed for lilivo1, I would greatly appreciate it :rolleyes:

8. lilivo1

No I think that's good for now. I'm gonna read over everything and see if I can't figure it out

9. messenger13

I would rather answer questions that help y'all learn what you're doing, opposed to spoon-feeding you syntax and/or code that you don't understand. This isn't rocket science ... but there is some risk involved. Knowing how to do a recovery is A MUST. If you don't have Sir PsychoS' Recovery Image installed so you can do a nandroid backup/restore ... that's the first thing you should learn next.

Comb through Sholes for the best info on Sir PsychoS' Recovery and the latest ROMs available.

10. bmar29

bmar29 Well-Known Member

why dont you just download the multitouch gallery from the appstore?
    wayyyyy less work

11. lilivo1

Man after reading what u just showed me ur right it's hella easy. but i am still having problems with number two... how do i add a line? and bmar 29 i just really wanna learn how to do this for future purposes too.

12. messenger13

Yea, I bought that one this morning. But there is something to be said for doing it yourself. ;)

13. messenger13

2) Add this line to the end of your /etc/permissions/platform.xml file:
    <library name="com.motorola.aui" file="/system/framework/com.motorola.aui.jar"/>

Just like using the push command statement to "push" files from one place to another, you would want to PULL this file onto your PC, edit it, then PUSH it back.

So from your PC's command screen you would type:
    cd C:\
    adb pull /etc/permissions/platform.xml platform.xml

Where C:\ is the destination of the file. Navigate to the root of C in My Computer and you will find the file "platform.xml". Simply open that file (right-click, Open With, WordPad), scroll to the bottom and add the library name statement.

Save the file, then PUSH it to the sdcard.

(From your PC)
    cd C:\
    adb push platform.xml /sdcard/platform.xml

Now that the new file is on the root of your sdcard, move it to the proper folder. I am used to using this syntax rather than a PUSH statement.

(From your PC)
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    dd if=/sdcard/platform.xml of=/etc/permissions/platform.xml
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    sync
    reboot (Your DROID should be rebooting ... unplug the USB cable)

Excellent Grasshopper. :)