• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Multitouch Keyboard from DX on Inc

What's with all the Swype love? I tried it a few days ago when it was available again and I just don't get it. I found it very awkward to use.

Deacon, I totally did too. For me it was that I did not trust (for lack of a better word) just running my finger all over the keyboard without constantly checking to see if the words were right.

But once I found that it was right 99.999% of the time I was hooked. You gotta do what you are comfortable with, but my vote is you try it again! :D

Upvote 0
Is there a place to dl this OTA?

Not exactly...
There is a link in the tips and tricks section to the Swype site where you can register for an official download.

Any attempts to talk about getting an unauthorized copy will get us spanked!!! :cool:

EDIT: Hey, I found the link for you

http://beta.swype.com/

Reactions: Outatime
Upvote 0
Tried it but since it does not have a 'minimize keyboard' key I found it gets in the way of some apps, particularly Yahoo Mail.

How do I uninstall? I've re-activated the HTC keyboard.

TIA,

-kj-

EDIT: I think I see it in the list of applications, just want to be sure I'm uninstalling the keyboard I added, not the factory keyboard...help?

Upvote 0
Tried it but since it does not have a 'minimize keyboard' key I found it gets in the way of some apps, particularly Yahoo Mail.

How do I uninstall? I've re-activated the HTC keyboard.

TIA,

-kj-

EDIT: I think I see it in the list of applications, just want to be sure I'm uninstalling the keyboard I added, not the factory keyboard...help?

Minimize keyboard key? lol None of them have that? Just hit the back arrow at the bottom of the screen and it minimizes the keyboard...

Upvote 0
After giving it a day, I'm going to drop this one. The text prediction is far inferior to the HTC keyboard. Also had a glitch where it froze up entirely when I received an incoming text while typing my own text. Had to exit to clear it up. That could be a conflict with SMS Popup however in defense of the app.

Hm! That's interesting. I have Swype and it was locking up completely (just the keyboard) when something was incoming. I also have SMS popup.

I had to stop using Swype, and it seems to be fine now. Maybe I'll try disabling SMS popup. :D

Upvote 0
I thought Swype was a pain too when I first started using it. Now I don't know what I ever did without it. Yes, it was annoying at first, but now it makes it so much easier and faster to text. I also like that I don't HAVE to swype the words to type, I can also type normally. And as far as the VTT, I only use it for texting, and Handcent has it built in. So I could care less if Swype has it. Though I'm sure a lot of people use it more often than I do.

I agree for the most part, but the 1 thing that drives me crazy about swype is that even though you can type normally without 'swyping', it works terribly, especially trying to type a URL. I hate how it doesn't show the text as you type in the field, and a lot of the times it registers my removal of my finger and insterts a space between the letters.

Upvote 0
Works great! I always had problems with the stock keyboard because i would type too fast and miss the spacebar and few letters ect. this works great. and the keys are spread a little further away so its a bit easier.

wow!.. my experience is totally different!.. HTC stock keyboard I feel is so much better.. it vibrates on keypress.. which this one doesn't (thats probably because it's not tailored for Dinc).

I like the looks of the HTC stock over this one too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones