Multitouch QuestionGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Ruh17

Ruh17 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is the Eris' lack of multitouch a software or a hardware issue? I guess I'm just wondering if any future updates could add multitouch to the phone? I know with the browser it has the pinch zoom function, and that has to require some multitouch right? So, wouldn't that mean the foundation is already there and it just needs a software upgrade?

Advertisement
  2. Ruben

Ruben Well-Known Member

What do you need that doesn't have multitouch? The photo gallery, email...

3. Ruh17

I'm not necessairly speaking for myself, just a general question. But, a lot of games require multitouch. There are more multitouch features that the browser could use. It just opens the door to more advanced apps.

QUESTION: Why do we need 3D TV?
    ANSWER: Because it's just cool.

4. Ruh17

Just a specific example: The NESoid and Genesoid and all the other old gaming platform apps and games require multitouch.

5. Ruben

Ruben Well-Known Member

The HTC ERIS, with sense, has more multitouch than a standard android phone, so I don't see your problem.

6. Ruh17

You having a bad day or something Ruben? You are appearing very defensive for no reason. First, i never said i had any problems. I think i made it clear that i was asking a general question about whether multitouch is software or hardware related.
    And i think i also laid out a very specific example with the classic gaming platform apps that require multi touch that the Eris doesn't provide. Which could be a problem for some.
    And lastly, the only multitouch function i have noticed on the Eris is the pinch to zoom. Are there more that i am unaware of?
    Chilax brother. I love my eris. I'm just asking a very general question that i figured the knowledgable people on this forum would be able to answer.

7. Matlock

Matlock Well-Known Member

The Multi-Touch feature on the phone I think isn't a code developers have readily access to-to program it into their applications.

Hopefully in the 2.0+ updates Google/HTC will allow developers to use Multi-Touch into their apps.

I may be wrong, this is just an educated guess from experience with apps and such.

8. Ruh17

I'm starting to think along those lines as well ^^^^

9. Ruben

Ruben Well-Known Member

Oh. I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to come off that way at all. I guess it just hard to fully understand "expression" through text. :)

10. dusthead

dusthead Well-Known Member

an email from google, sent in response to Leo Laporte asking the question, said: apple asked google to hold off on multi-touch because their copywrite is weak on it right now.

which gave Leo the feeling that it IS in the software, but not available to dev's yet. it's in use in europe right now and other countries - so...mostly likely it's there - just can't be used yet....FULLY.

11. jdeslip

jdeslip Member

I believe multi-touch API is available for devs on Android 2.0 and beyond including 2.1 on Nexus One. Some apps, like Dolphin Browser and PicSay already have it implemented. I for one am also hoping that the nesoid and snesoid dev implements it so that those emulators work better on my N1.