Multitouch

Last Updated:

1. freesoul27

freesoul27 Active Member This Topic's Starter

So anyone installed apps with multitouch?
    Does they work?

Advertisement
  2. jbrinkley

jbrinkley Well-Known Member

dolphin browser, works well

3. zukbang

zukbang Active Member

dolphin browser works...but is there any other apps????

4. shizzy1427

shizzy1427 Well-Known Member

Pic say works well

5. ManMythLegend

ManMythLegend Well-Known Member

B&B GALLERY works fantastic for pictures.

It does use the previous android folder system but pinch and zoom and quality of zoomed pics is much better.

6. LTZguy

LTZguy Well-Known Member

So this phone has pinch zoom and multitouch?

7. SoCal65

SoCal65 Member

Native apps do not utilize multi-touch, but 3rd party apps can use it.

No one has gotten an explanation as to why it isn't cooked into the stock apps... :confused:

HTC has multitouch working everywhere on the HTC Hero and HTC Droid Eris... but they are a third party who modified the O/S for their use.... HTC Sense.

So for the time being, if you are desperate to pinch and zoom then you'll have to download "replacement" apps that use it. :rolleyes:

8. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Several reasons why multi-touch isn't native:

1) Apple has an approved patent (edit) for pinch. As such, pending Apple enforcement of their IP, developers are using it (Palm, HTC and others, including 3rd party developers are using it). If Apple enforces its IP, then you'll probably see a bunch of C&D letters go out to those utilizing it.

2) Andy Rubin used to work for Apple before being at Google. Some believe that his prior relationship with Apple is influencing the presence of multi-touch natively (even if it's added to the API). That being said, at the Google Press Event, he dodged the question only saying that they'll consider it.

9. LTZguy

LTZguy Well-Known Member

cheesy. everytime some super cool phone comes out, it always has a major flaw.

10. sooper_droid12

That's how they keep you buying new gadgets. They bet on you having buyer's remorse, knowing that if they feed the herd mentality and get them to crave the "next best thing," they'll ensure an perpetual cycle of consumerism. Isn't capitalism great?!

11. SoCal65

SoCal65 Member

You can live without pinch-and-zoom.... you really can. :rolleyes:

12. LTZguy

LTZguy Well-Known Member

nah...once you go pinch...you cant go back!

13. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

I hate pinch. For some reason I can't remember which way is zoom in and which is out. I think I'm getting old, technology used to come easy to me.

14. skimminstones

skimminstones Well-Known Member

Dont laugh people but ive had a hero for a few months now, been reading around reviews and things about other phones and am still at a loss as to exactly what multi touch is and why is it sort after? What actual benefit does it bring?

15. djclark

djclark Well-Known Member

QFT. Hell of a lot more natural than magnifying glass buttons...

16. djclark

djclark Well-Known Member

Multitouch is basically the ability to handle/process multiple concurrent touchs from the user. One of the biggest uses is scaling. On my eris, I can hold two fingres together, touch the screen then spread my fingers apart. While I am doing that, the image scales. It can also be used by an on screen keyboard for faster typing ( ie type with both thumbs at the same time ) I'm sure there are some examples on youtube.

17. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

I have it natively on my hero and i never use it.

18. Fdelys

Fdelys Member

multitouch would best be served on an update to the soft keyboards. also with controls for things like games. engadget suggested that the multitouch issue is a legal one, and this makes perfect sense because Europe has it. I'm sure it will be fixed at some point, either by Google's lawyers reaching a good settlement or some technological workaround that avoids the issue altogether (my money is on the former, though).

19. gentlefury

gentlefury Well-Known Member

Apple buying the multitouch patent really pisses me off! It was invented and available for anyone that wanted to license it...now apple owns it and wants it to be proprietary...screw them! That would be like if someone decided to hold the patent on the mouse and noone else could control a computer with a plug in pointing device.

Screw these greedy ass corporations. Keep coming up with multi-touch apps in the market to replace the stock options.

20. sooper_droid12

Well, Apple ain't exactly squeeky clean either. They are in violation of a number of IP belonging to Palm. Palm integrated it into WebOS almost like a dare to Apple. If Apple decides to enforce MT gestures on Palm, then Palm can certainly counter-sue, like Nokia is currently doing against Apple. With the number of units that the iPhone has sold, it's likely to be a big settlement.

I think Apple knows that they're in a heap of trouble if they choose to enforce. That being said, I think Rubin may have a "gentlemen's agreement" with Apple considering his previous relationship. Or, maybe he's just waiting to see what will transpire with others utilizing MT gesturing.

At this point however, Apple has their hands full with Nokia's lawsuit. Palm may be next if their stock dips any lower and their devices don't have a chance of surviving in this competitive market field.

21. oniongirl

i've lost the link again, but Engadget are reporting that when the phone is sold through Google UK it will be multitouch enabled from the off-set. Sorry guys.

But this makes me wonder why the US is being singled out.

22. markouk

markouk Well-Known Member

23. oniongirl

much appreciated mark, no thunder stolen. i'm just super lazy.

24. markouk

markouk Well-Known Member

LOL. no worries ;)

25. booser4

booser4 Well-Known Member

I hope someone develops something that can be downloaded on the phone to make multi touch functional in basically all operations (the stock web browser, text messaging, etc...). Sure it might not be a deal breaker, but even I see it as a nice feature to have, pinch zoom is very handy.