music issue over usb to head unitSupport

Last Updated:

1. manooti

manooti New Member This Topic's Starter

hey, im trying to play live streaming music from the mytouch to my car's headunit but im getting a problem. the receiver is a kenwood mp642u which has a usb port and controls flash drives and ipods straight from the receiver. now my issue is that i cant play music over usb. i can play from sd card fine but when i go live (pandora, droidlive) it starts playing from the phone's speaker.

has anyone tried this? is it an app issue or phone/receiver compatibility issue? or it just wont play over usb?

i saw other threads of the bluetooth to fm transmitter but im just trying to avoid adding any more wires dangling around the center console and having to have a bag full of wires for the phone.

thanks

Advertisement
  2. ChrisK15

ChrisK15 Well-Known Member

You can only play SD card material through USB because the head unit accesses the SD card itself like a separate drive. Pandora and other streaming data can't be transferred across USB in the same manner. It's nothing wrong with the phone or anything; pretty much nothing can work that way.

3. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member

I would love to see someone write an app that allows the Droid to look like an iPhone to these car receivers for this very reason. Lots of receivers are made to work with iPhones. I wonder if this sort of app is even possible on Android OS.

4. manooti

manooti New Member This Topic's Starter

sucks that it isnt supported by the phone. the app idea would be awesome, that is if its possible which i do not doubt.

5. chris.h

chris.h Well-Known Member

The iPod dock connector has pins for line-out audio. This would only work if the microusb port on the Droid had line-out capabilities as well.

The main way that there would be audio support is when a head unit would mount the droid and read the audio from the Droid's SD card instead of the Droid actively pushing the audio/data to the HU.