Music jitter and skipping revisitedSupport

Last Updated:

1. thejtl

thejtl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK, I thought I had this figured out when I took Weather and Toggle off the phone, but now I'm still having trouble with some stutter and skip with the music players I've tried. I've been using Mixzing recently and I've upped the buffer as high as it can go and still some skipping.

Anyone else having this problem/find a solution/have an idea what's causing it. I use the phone more for music than I do as a phone and this is really bugging me. Never had this problem with my *ahem* iPhone.

thx

JTL

Advertisement
  2. thejtl

bump.

Anyone?

3. Chew

Chew Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. It used to only be with the non-stock players, but it's been happening with the stock player lately too. I don't have a fix, sorry.

What's worse is that I got a call in the middle of some music and the screen went black. Nothing I did, power, home key, etc, would wake it from that black screen. It didn't "unfreeze" until the call went to voicemail.

This phone is getting closer and closer to going back.

4. firefly9397

firefly9397 Member

Yes, I'm having this same problem. I thought it was the particular MP3 that didn't transfer right to the phone, but it doesn't skip or pause in same place in the song. I've tried stock, Mixzing, and the Rock player and all are having the same problem. I hope there is a fix for this.

5. tlo07

tlo07 Well-Known Member

I am not having those issues with my Captivate. How are you transferring your music to the phone? I just pop my SD card into my computer and drag my itunes music onto it and then put the SD card back into the phone--no software like Double Twist, etc involved. Then I just use the native music player to listen.

6. thejtl

I load the tunes by nothing mounting the phone.I'm on a mac. tried double twist & it was a disaster. didn't transfer half the album art. real drag. If this persists I'm going to have to take the phone back. Don't want to. There's a lot I really love but bad music player is a non starter for me. gosh darn it!

7. gubegirl

gubegirl New Member

I own a Samsung Galaxy S and had the same problem with the Samsung audio player. Tried to copy my MP3's directly on an external SD Card and saw (well, heard) no difference. The skipping/lagging seemed to happen everytime my phone would go in standby mode or I would leave the main page of the song or I would flip my phone in horizontal mode. So first thing I tried was changing my settings to make my phone go in standby after 30 minutes, and the skipping/lagging stopped (as long as I didn't navigate away or flip my phone, so not very convenient).

Then I noticed I was using the home page/interface that came with my phone company (Orange), so out of curiosity, I tried the default Android home page/interface instead. When I used the MP3 player, I noticed there was no more lagging/skipping problem AT ALL, even with standby mode put back to 2 minutes, even when I was navigating away or flipping my phone.

So if you're not using the default interface, it may come from there, just switch to this interface (you have an app to switch between homepages), hopefully this will work for some of you. :)

PS: I left my files on my external SD card and continue to put my SD card in my computer and to copy/paste them directly instead of using an USB cable and a program like Samsung Kies, so I don't know if it would still work on my internal SD card or by transfering the files differently, as I didn't try.

8. SamyAdams

SamyAdams New Member

Found a viable workaround for me is disabling the wifi interface while driving. I have not rooted my phone.
    Before while driving and listening to music/podcasts through bluetooth; I would get the skips, lag, etc in all tried programs whether the audio was stored on a SD card, stored on the phone memory, or streamed. The last update by AT&T seemed to even make it worse.
    Stumbled upon that when I turn wifi off, audio playback through bluetooth is problem free. Turn the wifi back on while driving even though it's not connected; the skips, etc return fairly quickly. All audio programs playback properly using this workaround for me now & I only have to occasionally deal with the buffer problem if I'm streaming in a weak 3G signal area; which isn't the phone's fault. Hopefully this helps someone else as a temporary solution.