• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Music memorabilia

K

Kaat72

Hi!
Do you have any music related experiences, places you've been, people you've met? You can post them here.

I've been traveling some in de US, car tripping from coast to coast and in the South West.
But even here, in Europe, we follow the music. Visiting a concert, searching for rare records in tiny stores and checking out memorabilia in the Hard Rock Cafes.
Have you seen the home of that singer, or the car of that guitarist?
Show it here
:D

Let me start...
Woodstock Music & Art Fair was a music festival held on a 600 acre (2.4 km²; 240 ha, 0.94 mi²) dairy farm in the rural town of Bethel, New York from August 15 to August 18, 1969. Thirty-two acts performed during the sometimes rainy weekend in front of nearly half a million concertgoers. It is widely regarded as one of the greatest moments in popular music history and was listed on Rolling Stone's 50 Moments That Changed the History of Rock and Roll. I got to see some memorabilia in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. The original festival shirt, the farmer's sign that was taken from the side of the road to prevent it from getting harmed during the weekend and the original drawings of the grounds for the security team. It wouldn't get so complicated at all, right?
20140916_120244.jpg
20140916_120316.jpg
20140916_120213.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland I have seen this handwritten lyrics for Purple Haze (a bit of a girlie handwriting, I think), a series of guitars and clothes that were from Jimi, and even the bench in his house! Look, well, there it is, that's where he would sit down, when he came home exhausted from a concert :)

Attachments

• 1451411741972.jpg
    1451411741972.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 206
  • 1451411753247.jpg
    1451411753247.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 1451411764759.jpg
    1451411764759.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 1451411773836.jpg
    1451411773836.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 1451411782277.jpg
    1451411782277.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 185
Reactions: KOLIO and argedion
Upvote 0
The Doors' lead singer, Jim Morrison was wild, a rebel, a poet. He belongs to the club of 27; artists who deceased at their 27th, as Brian Jones, Jim Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain. Jim Morrison probably died after a heroin overdose, in Paris (France) in 1971. Although he was a born American, he died in Paris, and that gave him the right to be buried in Pere Lachaise cemetery in Paris. In the company of Maria Callas for example, Moliere, Oscar Wilde and Edith Piaf. In this hilly park, amidst a jumble of monuments, stands a small stone. You really have to search for it. Gray. With flowers, notes and empty liquor bottles. Worth a visit, and a deception in the same time.

Attachments

• 1451452874882.jpg
    1451452874882.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 0
I'm gonna give away my age but I don't care. Why should I?

I was born June 1952 and graduated high school (yeah, I graduated) in 1970. So I was a teenager, in high school, working, getting my 1st car, my 1st poontang, learning to roll a spliff...I wasn't a bad kid, I stayed out of trouble with the law. But I was a little wild and crazy. I had a liking for fast cars, good parties, sex, drugs (though I knew the limits...no needles, thank you) and especially, rock n roll.

Point is, I was just the right age to say I grew up in the 60's & 70's, with the music marking time like timestamps on photos. All the incredible talent and music of the era played in the background as my life unfolded. My 1st car got a new-fangled FM stereo radio hung under the dash. That radio was witness to some interesting stuff. I heard Hendrix for the 1st time listening to Clyde Clifford on Bleaker Street. I heard Jesus leave Chicago on WLS. Blind Faith was playing on the stereo when my number was pulled in the draft lottery. I got #212 and didn't have to go to 'Nam.

I've been very lucky in life. And almost up there with my family is my good fortune to have been just the right age at just the right time to witness and enjoy the greatest explosion of sheer musical talent, well, to me anyway, in history.

Upvote 0
Sounds Ike awesome times, Crashdamage.
Maybe you can relate to this lil' story then...?

Rebel Without a Cause is a 1955 American drama film about adolescence through middle class teenagers in the American suburbs. Starring James Dean, Sal Mineo and Natalie Wood. The film offered both social commentary and an alternative to the until then dull films about delinquents in urban slums. The film was partly shot in the hills where the big Hollywood sign is, on the outskirts of Los Angeles. The road that leads through hills along a major music venue (The Greek) to the Griffiths Observatory. The observatory offers great views of the Los Angeles Basin, Downtown Los Angeles to the southeast, Hollywood to the south, and the Pacific Ocean to the southwest. Home of the Beach Boys, Black Eyed Peas, Canned Heat, Doors, Eagles, Guns 'N Roses, Linkin Park, Metallica en de Red Hot Chili Peppers, to name just a few.
The movie was a groundbreaking attempt to portray the moral decay of American youth, to criticize parental style, and to explore the differences and conflicts between the generations. Over the years the film has achieved legendary status by icon James Dean, who died before the release of the film. Dean's Porsche 550 Spyder "Little Bastard" car hit a 1950 Ford Tudor, who was making a turn at an intersection on US Route 466, from Los Angeles to Salinas. At the observatory stands a beautiful tribute statuette for James Dean. I got a chance to see it.
To name a few references in songs ... rap group Public Enemy made a song called "Rebel Without a Pause". Bonnie Tyler made a song in 1986 called "Rebel Without a Clue." Rap rock artist Kid Rock called his 1998 album "Devil Without a Cause." Bruce Springsteen song "Cadillac Ranch" called James Dean's 1949 Mercury coupe, and Joni Mitchell used scenes from Rebel Without a Cause in her concert film, Shadows and Light (1980).

Attachments

• 1451462093516.jpg
    1451462093516.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 1451462125889.jpg
    1451462125889.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 1451462142648.jpg
    1451462142648.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 1451462166937.jpg
    1451462166937.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 193
  • 1451462180213.jpg
    1451462180213.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 0
The Irony of music is any of the bands that formed the music we listen to wouldn't make it in the industry now. Morrison forget it they would crucify him before he would have made and album. On the other hand the crap they try to push as music today wouldn't have made it back then. We don't have vocal rock influences anymore. I remember growning up seeing Lennon on tv in bed talking peace. Now we get little twits like cyrus girl who just shows tits and thinks she an artist.

Upvote 0
She wouldn't make a chance against Janis :)
"Turn on, tune in, drop out." It was the 1967 Summer of Love in San Francisco and the Haight-Ashbury district was lighting up in psychedelic color.
In the midst of the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights movement, a new generation hoped for revolution. In San Francisco, it began down Haight Street with the Golden Gate Park "Gathering of the Tribes." Haight hippies, Berkeley radicals, and others who hitchhiked cross-country Gathered to hear Allen Ginsberg chanting mantras while swaying to Jefferson Airplane. Then, some 100 000 came together for an unforgettable summer.
In the '60s, Haight-Ashbury, now called the Upper Haight, was a haven for cultural revolutionaries: hippies, artists, and psychedelic rock musicians. Janis Joplin lived at the Victorian 635 Ashbury Street in the Haight. The Grateful Dead lived a few doors up at 710 Ashbury Street.
I was there early on a Sunday morning, in the streets in the Haight. It was still foggy. A man came out in a ladies neglige and on fluffy slippers to walk his dog. On the sidewalk, in front of each door was a newspaper, neatly wrapped in plastic. He picked up his newspaper and nodded to us. Two blocks away, we suddenly stood at the edge of the park where singles with music in their ears were jogging, in front of her house. Janis lived there, on the corner. The streets were still silent, but I could hear her voice.

Attachments

• 1451547874652.jpg
    1451547874652.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 1451547899553.jpg
    1451547899553.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 1451547916492.jpg
    1451547916492.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 1451547949820.jpg
    1451547949820.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 176
Upvote 0
Thanks Kaat 72, enjoying this. Entirely new to the chat/forum environment, still kind of on overload, but very fun. I enjoy your writing style (Rebel Without a Cause, for instance) A thorough but concise description, emphasizing the details which support the point you wish to make; Enough detail to bring someone completely unfamiliar up to speed without being patronizing, not so much anyone would get bored, and delivering a sense of the "flavor" of the thing being described, well done.
I will likely fall short of some of these qualities here, but offer a few random thoughts, loosely connected and relevant;

1) The Morrissey song "Suedehead" (not my usual genre, but pretty OK imho); The official video is filled with James Dean iconography, to the point of being a monument, might be worth looking at.
2)The music which has more appeal to me is likely the result of my first concert experience. Mom and Dad took me to see The Band, at the Santa Monica civic center.......At two weeks of age. Parenting styles were different then:rolleyes: Now I'm dating myself, like crashdamage did earlier in this thread; I must agree with him, there was a particular window of time when there was some really good stuff going on in the world of music; I'm slightly too young to have really seen (remembered) much of it first hand, but it was the kind of stuff that was still in "heavy rotation" on the local "contemporary rock" radio station when I was growing up. Recently I moved back to my hometown, after being away, pursuing a career for 25 years; I tuned to 99.9 FM, and my initial reaction was "Dear God, are they still playing these exact same songs, milking this tired old format ?" Three songs later, and they had reeled me in, landed me back in the boat. I think it was Derek and the Dominos' cover of "Little Wing", followed by "Sweet Jane", the Lou Reed song, and then "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac. I never wanted to turn into an old fart, incapable of relating to the music of the current youth generation, it just seems to happen. Those of us in the previous generation generally fail to see the appeal of the music that the current generation thinks sets the standard. While I strive to see the good in all of it, I have to dig really hard these days to hear much that seems like it will stand the test of time. Sometimes personal opinions arise because one side of the scale truly is far more weighted down with treasure. I imagine every generation wants to distance themselves from their parent's generation, (Rebel without a Cause, anyone?):D And this leads us to #3, for anyone still reading:rolleyes:
3) Dad recently celebrated his 70th BD; We had a nice dinner, a few glasses of wine. He related the story of being 18, with the long hair, VW bus, living in sin with Mom, the whole bit, and it was his own father's BD. He gave Grandpa a copy of the then new single "I am the Walrus". Definitely advanced material, not the kind of stuff one would expect someone of the Depression era to immediately embrace. Dad gave it to him mostly to twist the knife, but partly to try and reach out, turn the old man on to something special. It didn't go well, and to this day, Dad just shakes his head, and can't imagine why. That's one of the things that makes it so difficult between he and I at times; I have more than embraced his stuff, yet he can tell a story like that, about his own Father, and still turn his nose up at anything his son puts on his radar screen. I have gone through numerous phases over the years, these days I'm going back and mining stuff like The Stooges, The Clash, (some), selected Ramones songs, and definitely the Pistols. Bringing us to 4.
4) Love it or hate it, the previous four acts and others of that type produced some stuff that at the very least must be considered "interesting" as a study in cultural anthrolpology. Furious rebellion with or without a cause, steeped in the '50's rock and James Dean tradition, and "turned up to eleven". Raw and undisciplined, but not nearly as atonal or unmelodious as many would have you believe. Truly a product of a particular time, place, and experience, an oddly creative channeling of anger and frustration. An enormous desire to send a message, and very little appetite for fame or fortune. A definite signature look and attitude, but (at least in the early days) not an act, affectation, or a dress up masquerade. The image Kaat 72 posted of the original draft of the lyrics to "Purple Haze" reminded me of a document from the history of The Sex Pistols, which has been reproduced in books. A pay stub issued to the band, signed by Bill Graham. The show was at Winterland, in SF, before the largest crowd they would ever play to, It would turn out to be their last gig ever, and a lackluster performance. And the total take for the band was $66 . This was something that by virtue of its raw honesty, likely will stand the test of time, for a particular audience. Some of the participants were exactly what you would expect; Thuggish, under educated, marginally competent on their instrument. Others were significantly smarter, more introspective, and while not classically trained, capable of wringing a signature sound out of an instrument.
5) Sadly, one of the single most iconic figures of the movement is someone not to be idolized for any reason. As crashdamage said earlier, "no needles, thank you." Inevitably, a legend is created when you symbolize your entire genre; By consciously cultivating the image of a bad boy rock star. While simultaneously, genuinely living the lifestyle that would later be associated with the entire genre, to the max, and not as a part of an act. By senselessly but inevitably dying of an overdose at 21, fully six years short of the already far too young " 27 club". A perverse goal, to say the least. At least James Dean lived fast, died young, and left a beautiful corpse.

More than I intended, and far more than enough for now, thanks for your kind indulgence to those of you still here.

Reactions: mikedt and Kaat72
Upvote 0
Kaat 72; I see an admirable enthusiasm which extends beyond merely "the guitar that xxxxxxx played @ xxxxxx", to a desire to share with others the (sadly fading) sense of a particular neighborhood when a cultural phenomena was occurring; It's sights and sounds, beyond just the music scene. The fashions and political / social environment, the mundane daily objects and weather that made up the background. I suspect our region of interest already covers the same phenomena, in the same neighborhood; It may be too late for us. ;) I hope others will use this thread to turn us on to other phenomena, from other eras, in different neighborhoods; And bring that same kind of detailed enthusiasm!

One of several collections which surrounds me on a daily basis is perhaps the largest and most complete single gathering of Rock and Roll posters from the psychedelic era, SF bay area scene; The Filmore and Avalon ballroom, the big name bands, the best work by "the big five" graphic artists, etc.

It isn't bragging, as they are not my creations, nor my possesions; But I do have access to them, and a wealth of historical and trivia related information. Many, (but certainly not all) have been often reproduced, and can be viewed in books or online; Without actively seeking them out, however, most people would not be exposed to them, even if they already have a general curiosity. As with many things in life, without prior exposure, there is little motivation to actively seek out more, ongoing exposure. Unfortunately, it is often frequently true that ongoing exposure sometimes leads to casual disinterest, complacency.

If it were of interest, I would be happy to post an example occasionally, perhaps with a bit of anecdotal information. They live most of their lives in flat files, but when a particularly striking example is brought out into the light, for one reason or another, it would be a simple matter to photograph it, gather some background info, and share it here with anyone interested. Heck, it would even force me to look at them with fresh eyes, so common have they become in my day to day life. o_O No photograph I could post could possibly capture and convey the majesty of some of this art, but if it spurs others to investigate further, then (my understanding of) the mission of a thread like this is complete; Share with others what you know a little about, learn from others a little about what you don't. Thanks.

Upvote 0
We traveled around in the northwest, this June. One of the places we had to go to, was Paisley Park Studios in Chanhassen, near Minneapolis, MN.
Prince used to live and work here. There was no special spot, nor a statue or anything yet, but the fence surrounding the estate was covered with momentos. Memorabilia fans created and left there.
It certainly felt special being there.
1467469690520.jpg
1467469729533.jpg
1467469759804.jpg
1467469787031.jpg

Upvote 0
We visited the Riverfront Park in Aberdeen, South of Seattle, WA. A somewhat depressingly quiet town, with above average amount of ruins that used to be homes.
This is where Kurt Cobain (Nirvana) grew up. He liked sitting under this bridge. Write here. Even refers to it in a song.
He passed away too young. It is said his family scattered some of his ashes there, under this bridge.
1467470070964.jpg
1467470304026.jpg
1467470369856.jpg
1467470429035.jpg
1467470479769.jpg
1467470600572.jpg

Upvote 0
Which is, without doubt, better Mike ;)

Greenwood Memorial Park in Renton, near Seattle, WA. We are here to make a deep bow to Jimi Hendrix's grave. For us, an important place on this trip.
No parking at the entrance for visitors of the parks, we are supposed to drive through.
It drizzles. No fresh flowers for this master. Just a homeless guy hanging out in this monument, asking us for a smoke. We have been really looking forward to this moment, this place but both don't want to stay long. His magic is gone. Not here.
We drive on, while faith makes Jimi play Hey Joe on the car radio. A sad place.
1467471576226.jpg
1467471586975.jpg
1467471599114.jpg
1467471607884.jpg
1467471616759.jpg

Am I doing better now, in posting pics?

And Oh, I made made more pics of each place. If anyone wishes to see more, just let me know.

Upvote 0
Nothing tangible for the moment, just a memory which flashed through my mind a short while ago:

The Arlington Theater in Santa Barbara, Ca. Is a modest but gorgeous facility. Built in the 1930's, after much of the town was leveled in a 1925 earthquake. It combines Spanish mission style architecture with art-deco influences, a charming semi-enclosed approach with a fountain, exposed beam ceilings, massive wrought iron chandeliers. Inside has a wonderful warm feeling; Conventional theater style seating, with a small balcony, faux box seats along the sides, dark vaulted ceilings with night sky "stars". Trompe l'oeil architectural details, shadows, and vegetation on the walls, etc. Really charming.
It would have been in the early '80s, a few years after her debut album came out, when Rickie Lee Jones came to play. I don't recall if the house was full or not, but certainly under 2000 people. It was just her, a piano, and a bottle of Jack. Very quickly, it was her, a piano, and a half a bottle of Jack. There were moments when you could hear a pin drop; What passed for interaction with the audience, was little more than her mumbling to herself, trying to hold back the tears, get it together, and make it through from one agonizing minute to the next. She would take another hit, smear the hair out of her face with one lazy forearm, and take three stabs at putting the bottle back on the piano, with the other. I have never seen a performer so wrecked, but trying so hard to pour their soul out; Living the troubled artists' lifestyle for real, on stage for your benefit. It was a very sloppy show, but very memorable, very sweet.

Years later, I saw Bruce Hornsby in a similar, albeit far less charming venue; Just an artist, a piano, and lots of space between the songs. No organized set list, lots of one on one interaction with the audience, and an artist just having fun. Shows of that sort are the exception, rather than the rule, and not always a triumph, but always worth taking a chance on. Have never seen Randy Newman, but huge fan for years, certain I would love it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaat72
Upvote 0
Do you know that feeling when things fall into place, and you get goose bumps just anywhere? A dry throat? Tears in your eyes?
Today, the circle was round. Serendipity? Anywho ... Man, it feels good.

In 1974, the Southern band Lynyrd Skynyrd recorded a song in the Muscle Shoals Studios in Alabama: Sweet home Alabama. It was their response to the song Alabama, by Canadian gooder Neil Young. Young recorded it two years before that, for the album Harvest. Both songs are incredibly good.
There is a lot of philosophizing about the relationship between the two songs, and artists. The two are inextricably linked. As this gentleman extensively elaborates: http://thrasherswheat.org/jammin/lynyrd.htm

It is certain that Lynyrd Skynyrd achieved world fame with their song. In 1977 three band members and the pilot died in a plane crash (on a flight which actually was intended for Iron Maiden), and ten years later, in 1987, the remaining members of the band came together for a reunion. The youngest brother of the deceased frontman and singer Ronnie Van Zandt took the mic and the band decided to continue.
Barely two years ago, on a warm Sunday morning we were in that little studio in front of a big cemetery, on a highway road, and the air felt heavy and crickets were singing. Two weeks ago in an amphitheater in Hinckley, Minnesota amid a redneck-ish audience waving confederate flags, Johnny Van Zandt declared that he prayed for a quick resurrection of the beautiful south and we heard them play Sweet home Alabama. And tonight, two hours ago, in Amsterdam we witnessed Neil Young singing his Alabama.
I say this in all humility ... We are horrifically lucky and fortunately we realize that.
I filmed two songs:
Sweet home Alabama:
Alabama:
Enjoy the show :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones