Music, movies, pics on internal or external card?General

Last Updated: 2013-10-14 20:50:10
  1. dropnbassonu

dropnbassonu Well-Known Member

With 32gb of internal space, how do you decide what goes on it versus your external card? I picked up a class 10 64gb card that I imagine I'll put all my imported music, movies, pics, docs on. Then I'll likely also use that card to save the pics and videos I take with the phone too. Or, do you keep your imported media on the card and then any downloaded/camera pics & video files on the internal? There is no way in the world I can come close to maxing out a total of 96gb with what I'd be importing and downloading, but the 4k video taking tons of space might force me into saving all my phone pics and video's into the external card. I know I could easily record in 1080p to save space, but unless the 60fps is that much smoother vs. the quality of the 30fps 4k then I'll just go with 4k all the time. Eventually I'll have a 4k tv so I want the best possible quality for the future.

What is everybody planning on doing?

Advertisement
  2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

Not sure that there are any hard and fast rules. Saving from the camera direct onto the SD can have a small performance penalty as SD tends to be slower than internal storage. What that means is a few moments longer between snaps or a longer wait after recording video.

What I think what would swing it for me is whether I had a card reader on my PC ;)

If you're going to be transfering very large (GBs not MBs) files - which I would assume 4K video files would be - then the faster performance of a card reader v USB cable might favour putting them on the card.
  3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Well, a Class 10 Pro card should be plenty fast for saving video.

What I plan NOT to do is record in either 4K or 60fps. The reason for that is I don't have anything in the house that will play back 4K or 60 fps! So if I woke up in your shoes, I would find out what playback options I have other than the Note 3. You might not need that, or even want it.

I take very few videos, so it'll be mostly pics. The card will be plenty fast for that, leaving internal memory for app data and pre-recorded movies (I already have all 6 Star Wars Blu-rays ripped for the Note 3, just waiting to copy them over).

:)
  4. droidobsessed

droidobsessed Well-Known Member

What program did you use to rip the Blu-rays?
  5. Benjie

Benjie Well-Known Member

Using the external card.