Music Player error msg: Not enough space in Music databaseSupport

Last Updated:

1. kindofblue

kindofblue Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I've just downloaded my mp3 library to the phone (using the mass storage usb connection method) and when I try to select "artists" as the way to select music to play I get this error "Not enough space in the Music database" in the header of the phone and the player shuts down. Any thoughts on what I can do about this?

There's 9.5 GB of space on the internal sd card and 2.2 GB of space free on the external 16 GB card.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Advertisement
  2. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

I had the same (my collection ~22GB on 32GB microSD card), seen others reporting this too with varying sized collections/SD cards, and no discernible pattern as to why the error occured. I never found a fix for it until installing the Froyo JPK firmware, which fixes this error.

3. kindofblue

Thanks for the reply. Are you referring to the upcoming Froyo Android 2.2 operating system update?

4. NZtechfreak

I'm referring to a leaked beta of that update, yes. You can get it now at XDA-developers, there is a post with all the how-to information. I"m enjoying Froyo a lot on my GS, addresses several issues I had with the phone.

5. kindofblue

OK, thanks for the clarification.

6. mi04se1

mi04se1 Well-Known Member

I get the error also.

7. kindofblue

Well I took all the music off the internal SD card, pared the library down to about 12GB, put it on a 16GB card and can now read see artists listings

grover46 and NZtechfreak like this.
  8. NZtechfreak

Strange, mine was on an external card to begin with (as it was for most people reporting this error).

Thanks for your post, may help some others.

Anyways, I prefer the fix with JPK - no compromising my music collection!

9. Andrewdroid

Andrewdroid Well-Known Member

I only get this error when trying to search for music. Basically the search function just does not work.. and I have to scroll through everything to find stuff. =(. All my music is stored on the internal card as well. So you're saying this Froyo stuff fixes it... at&t roll out that sh't now please!

10. Andrewdroid

Andrewdroid Well-Known Member

PS. The Samsung Music Player definitely sounds the best with in-ear headphones and 5.1 turned on so I would like to use it if possible.

11. grover46

grover46 New Member

My experience was similar to this one. When I originally copied my music to a 16GB external card, I had only about 50MB unused, and was getting the above error message. When I pared the collection down to where I had 1.3GB available, Sort by Artist worked fine.

12. mi04se1

I have almost 7 gb left on a 32 gb card and get the error.

13. grover46

grover46 New Member

Sounds like there may actually be more than one issue involved here. Opening up 1.5GB of free space worked for me, but I am using a 16GB card. Since there aren't a lot of 32GB cards out there, maybe the app is not written to access that large a database.

Although I doubt it has anything to do with it, I have installed Update UCJH7

14. mi04se1

Ive been getting the error for awhile, way before the update.

15. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Well-Known Member

Anyone found or heard of a fix for this that doesn't include deleting any music? I'm on my second phone, i returned the first one because of random shut offs and my new one gets this error just as my old one. I have about 1gb left on internal and 1gb left on my 8gb external. I'm getting so tired of these galaxy s bugs. How could a smartphone have such a terrible music player. Although it sounds good, i get static all the time in any music player when I'm multitasking, and then this database error is ridiculous.

16. jgtck

jgtck New Member

I didn't have the problem with about 14Gb of my 16Gb external SD filled with music. I just installed a 32Gb SD to which I had preloaded some additional music using my laptop, but it still has 11Gb available (plus 8 Gb on the internal SD). Now I get the "not enough space" problem when I try to list by Artist. Samsung Captivate

17. NZtechfreak

The fix without deleting music is to install a 2.2 firmware, which is well worth it in any case, so win-win!

18. mattuhh

mattuhh Well-Known Member

I get this also, and the way i fixed it was to download the Winamp app from market and use that instead :)