Music Player is not Reading Song Tag Info of AAC (.m4a) Files ProperlySupport

Last Updated:

1. tonytooth

tonytooth Member This Topic's Starter

My music has ID3 version 2.3 tags (most common). About 10% (2,500) of my music is AAC (.m4a) format which is MP4 tagged. All my songs are very organized into 11 different genres. Everything has a title, artist, and album assigned to it and looks great in my iPhone, iTunes, MediaMonkey, and Mp3tag program. When I add my music to my Samsung Fascinate, it reads the tags of my .m4a music but when I go to genre, things are messy. It appears to be putting albums in the genre section (only with .m4a files).

Example: Lets say I have an .m4a of Garth Brooks, Thunder Rolls, No Fences (album), Country (genre)

In my Samsung Fascinate player, it will be found in the genre section under "No Fences". If I click "Country" genre where it should be, the song will not be listed there. It seems to be reading .m4a Album tags as genre and not reading the appropriate tag "Country".

I hope someone can help straighten this out without having either manually edit each song tag OR convert all of them to .mp3 and deplete the song quality.

Advertisement
  2. tonytooth

3. tonytooth

I have figured it out and will post my findings later. My wife is dragging me out the door to eat. I have a simple fix but the "correct" fix may not come so easy. BRB :D

4. tonytooth

The way I understand this and for an easy fix, basically we need to rename all of our genres if they fall into this pre-defined list (id3v2.3.0 - ID3.org). In other words, make up your own name like "hiphop" or "hip hop" because the pre-defined list has it as "hip-hop". If you do this, then iTunes will be forced to saved your genre name in text and not in an "Apple friendly" binary-encoded format that the Android player cannot understand.

I am going to try opening up my music in MediaMonkey and renaming the genres to some random name then back to the original name and see if MediaMonkey writes it in a Android friendly tag. If that doesn't work, I will rename a genre using iTunes, let's say Country, to something like ****ry and see if that name change will do the trick. I am hoping the first choice works with MediaMonkey but if I have to slightly rename them, then so be it. I will report back with my findings.

5. tonytooth

Using MediaMonkey made no difference so I went in iTunes and renamed my Country genre to Kuntry and it made things better but not fixed. Now I end up with a Kuntry genre section where all the mp3 were correctly stored and an "unknown" genre section where all the m4a files are stored. Now it's not reading anything for a genre on the m4a files. That's better then having them thrown in the genre section by album title. Back to the drawing board to see if I can FIX the problem completely.

6. tonytooth

So here is my clean genre list. I have just under 8 gigs of music loaded and not one song gave me a problem.

Screenshot of the genre section in my player - http://lh5.ggpht.com/_7tPZ9KH7UTU/TMDgJXVHr8I/AAAAAAAAcs8/9oF6xi5y828/s800/snap20101021_204925.png

Here is my solution to the messy genre section in the Android music player. I renamed all my genres with a hyphen at the end so that they would all be unique from the pre-defined list. I downloaded the free program Mp3tag located here Mp3tag - der universelle Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...) to rename my genres with the hyphen. Happy Happy, Joy Joy :)